Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered these two new things about my 2005 Prius last week, after a year of ownership.

1) The car will shut down and the "triangle of death" will come on if you accidentally start to drive with the driver's side door ajar.

2) You cannot open the hatchback while the car is powered on.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
paul16451 said:
I discovered these two new things about my 2005 Prius last week, after a year of ownership.

1) The car will shut down and the "triangle of death" will come on if you accidentally start to drive with the driver's side door ajar.

2) You cannot open the hatchback while the car is powered on.
I'm familiar with #2, but I can drive with the driver's door open, I do it almost daily as I pull up and snag the newspaper from the driveway and continue on. The MFD displays something about not charging when in Neutral and there are other lights and beeps, but the car keeps going.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I just found out that you can dim the dash lights all the way down, which turns off the speedo, and makes the map look all cool, with the road in blue.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I know I have opened the hatch in Ig-On mode (or at least ACC mode), so I guessed one could open the hatch when in READY.

Of course the hatch will only open if it is unlocked. There's no mechanical lock on the hatch like on the other doors, the body ECU simply ignores the request to open the hatch if the ECU has the door in an locked state in memory. You can't unlock the hatch with SKS when in READY or with the remote door lock feature of the FOB.

So really, you may have been trying to open a locked hatch, which probably means the passenger and rear doors are also locked. In its default state, the driver door is the first one unlocked if you use the remote, a second press unlocks all doors. Also by default unlocking the driver door with SKS only unlocks the driver door. Attemting to unlock the passenger door or hatch by SKS will unlock those doors if the fob is at the door that you are attempting to unlock.

I certainly will be experimenting on this tonight though to be sure.

As others indicated, you can drive the car with the driver door open. It seems Toyota cut programming corners by using the Neutral warning. I believe they intended to give that warning if you attempted to leave the car when it was in READY and in neutral. To sense if you were attempting to leave, they check if the driver door is open (I suppose they don't figure you'll be exiting by the window). Since they also wanted to warn about the danger of leaving the car in gear (D or R) unattended, they simply used the same software routine that they used for Neutral.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.