Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
paul16451 said:
Now THIS is a feature I think I'd REALLY enjoy on a car, especially driving through San Francisco!
No matter how much technology you squeeze into a car, it won't work if you're trying to park in Italy! That requires some kind of magic that only human hands can perform... :lol:

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Edo said:
paul16451 said:
Now THIS is a feature I think I'd REALLY enjoy on a car, especially driving through San Francisco!
No matter how much technology you squeeze into a car, it won't work if you're trying to park in Italy! That requires some kind of magic that only human hands can perform... :lol:
Yeah, my friend told me to park car without the parking brakes and leave it in Neutral so every one can bumper push the car in front and back so everyone can "Squeeze-in" that is the parking way for ITALY and works in ARGENTINA as well ! But in TOKYO just find a spot that you think the Auto
park feature on the Prius can guide it and park it for you, just be a passenger !

·
Registered
298 Posts
OMG! I would KILL for a Prius which could parallel park for me. There is only parallel parking near my favorite restaurant so I'm constantly having to do it. Actually, Phoebe seems to fit in just about every space but I'm still a nervous wreck about it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
C.Rickey Hirose said:
Edo said:
Yeah, my friend told me to park car without the parking brakes and leave it in Neutral so every one can bumper push the car in front and back so everyone can "Squeeze-in" that is the parking way for ITALY and works in ARGENTINA as well ! But in TOKYO just find a spot that you think the Auto
park feature on the Prius can guide it and park it for you, just be a passenger !
Wait a minute. WAIT...A...minute. This feature will only work in Italy if the car's CD Player is playing a special CD of the Tarantela. In Argentina you need the Tango CD.

·
Registered
45 Posts
An04Prius said:
Wait a minute. WAIT...A...minute. This feature will only work in Italy if the car's CD Player is playing a special CD of the Tarantela. In Argentina you need the Tango CD.
I object!!! The tarantella is now obsolete - Bocelli or Zucchero would do much better.

You'll need Pavarotti to parallel park a Hummer, though.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Why can't they develop cars where the wheels can turn 90 degrees (back ones too) so that you can push your car into a tight parallel parking spot?

·
Registered
919 Posts
My rule is: Never park a new car in a tight parallel spot. Just because I can maneuver in, doesn't mean the other drivers will be careful. Therefore, my Prius, considered new for.....let's say 5 years...will just have to bypass those spaces. I'd rather walk the extra block or two. (And as warned from previous post, I never park near a shopping cart corral any more.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Why can't they develop cars where the wheels can turn 90 degrees (back ones too) so that you can push your car into a tight parallel parking spot?
I seem to remember one of those magazine shows of the 80's showing a car that did just that.

My conspiracy theory is that Sears, Mineke, and Midas all Lobby'd the government prevent such a car from being sold, because if the car can adjust the wheel rotation, a front end alignment would *never* be necessary

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
DanMan32 said:
nah, all you need is to come from the opposite direction, pull the handbrake, yank the steering wheel and after lotsa practice, you should be able to slide into the spot :D

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
An04Prius said:
The technology the Japanese are using for this requires an old Italian street band marching cadence. :) Voice does not work, yet. :(
An04Prius said:
And the tarantella will never be obsolete...just rent the Godfather movie. :wink:
Ha! I was wondering when the old stereotype would pop up... :lol:

That movie is so overrated - we have running water in Italy now, you know? Cold and hot! And even color TV. Sometimes even DSL.

The really sad thing is that many in my generation wouldn't even know the rhythm of a tarantella - and I'm not that ancient...

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
The autopark feature has been available for the Japanese Prius starting with the 2004 model year.

To see a demo video:
http://www.toyota.co.jp/company/prius/a ... p_ipa.html

The driver still has to set up the points on the monitor, and still has to control the brakes. (If the car hits something, it's the driver's fault for not braking in time!)

·
Registered
45 Posts
mrv said:
To see a demo video:
http://www.toyota.co.jp/company/prius/a ... p_ipa.html

The driver still has to set up the points on the monitor, and still has to control the brakes. (If the car hits something, it's the driver's fault for not braking in time!)
Holy cow! In the time it takes to aim and set up the manouver on the touch screen I would've parked twice manually... :lol:

I didn't know the driver seats on the right in Japan... :oops:

·
Registered
45 Posts
paul16451 said:
Now that I think of it, I wonder whether (and how well) this system would work on steep slopes as those in SF... :shock:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Being Italian myself, I certainly meant no disrespect or stereotyping of Italians, Argentina or any other ethnic group. If I offended anyone, I apologize. It was just good natured bantering & joking, by a gentle old bear. :oops:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Why am I suddenly craving spaghetti and meatballs, one those candles stuck in a cheap chianti bottle, a more expensive bottle of chianti, and "Bella Noche".

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Astrowoman said:
Why am I suddenly craving spaghetti and meatballs, one those candles stuck in a cheap chianti bottle, a more expensive bottle of chianti, and "Bella Noche".
perche lei ha un bel spirito

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hungarian goulash, paprikash, and pastries for me. My daughter's boyfriend, Vito, however, has fabulous meals from his home. They're both 1st generation Americans and I believe have beautiful cultures and foods to enhance their lives. (Some may remember that they both called my Prius boxy, but I'm trying very hard to forgive them.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts