Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you can get a package with a security upgrade, but has anyone really had any troubles with security? I can't imagine this car being stolen, as there are only so many (it's not common like a Civic or a Focus), and, especially after reading about the twice-stolen HID headlamps, do not plan on getting a package with HID (I want package HG 2006). I do live in Atlanta, however, the city with the highest rate of vandalism.

Also, what sort of security system comes with the standard package?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The 'security' system is an alarm. The Prius has an immobilizer in all packages. It is necessary by the very nature of the way the car powers up.

FYI, all packages have the alarm hardware, but some packages have it turned off. At least it is that way for 2004-2005, but I suspect it is still this way for 2006. The alarm 'add-on' that is to be used for packages that supposedly don't have the alarm is simply the glass breakage sensor and additional instructions on activating the alarm. However, as long as the GBS is not installed, a dealer can technically turn on the alarm with a scan tool if he is willing to do so. If GBS is installed, then an additional step is required to remove a yellow disabling wire going to the body ECU. This wire is not documented in the wiring diagram in the tech manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts