Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A parking guide for under $10.00.

One of the biggest concerns that I have with the Prius is that I cannot see where the front end of the car begins. Thus, it is difficult to judge distance when parking or putting the car in my garage. I finally came up with a solution to this problem.

First I went to the local auto parts store [Pep Boys] and purchased a black painted universal replacement antenna for $7.00. The antenna has a threaded fitting at the bottom end which is designed to attach to the antenna fittings on a Ford, Chrysler, and many other cars.

Then I purchased a 6 millimeter by 1/2 screw to screw into the threaded fitting at the bottom of the antenna. The antenna which you buy may need a different metric screw size but this is an easy problem to solve. Finally I purchased a 1 and 1/2 by 1 and 1/2 angle bracket at the hardware store. This bracket has two holes on each of its arms.

I screwed the antenna into the hole furthest from the end of the bracket and used a lock washer to make certain it would not come loose. Next I used my grinder to cut off the un-used hole and rounded off the end of the bracket.

Next, I removed the license plate frame and license plate from the front of the car. Using the license plate frame as a guide I marked the spot on the un-used arm of the angle bracket and drilled a hole into the bracket so that the hole in the bracket lined up with the hole in the license plate frame. This is where the threaded screw which holds the license plate and frame would go through the antenna bracket and mount it to the car.

That done, I painted the bracket, screw and washer with black spray paint. The final step was to screw a yellow wire nut onto the top of the antenna to make it more visible. After the paint dried I mounted the antenna bracket on the license plate frame holder. Manufacturing time for this procedure was less than one half an hour. The cost for all of the parts to make the parking guide was under ten dollars.

Now, when I sit in the Prius I can see the yellow wire nut which tells me exactly where the front end of the car begins.

If you are not handy or do not have the tools to do this job, enlist a frined to do it for you. It is a very easy procedure.

Arizona Charlie

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow, you have an antenna with a little yellow nut sticking up above your hood? :lol: No offense Charlie, but the visual is cracking me up. I have to hand it to you, you're the Mod McGyver on this board.

Why not tie a tennis ball to some string and have it hang in your garage? Set it at a distance where you can safely stop once you nudge it.

*edit* I realize your solution has more uses than just garage parking.

·
Registered
319 Posts
There was someone a while back that did this same thing. His antenna was white and matched his Prius better. It was nwprius over on PriusChat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts