Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I understood from the technical description, the A/C of Prius 2 is working electrically (not hydraulically), that means works also without gas engine running.

Does that mean that also the heating in winter works electrically without the gas engine is running? If so, can this be used to (pre-)heat the car before driving it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
The heat comes from the ICE cooling system. Therefore the ICE will cycle more often in cold weather as temperature requirements dictate.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
There is also an electric water pump in addition to the electric water pump which circulates water through the cooling and cabin heating look when the engine is not running.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
But don't leave the Prius in

1. "IG_ON"
or in
2. READY with the drive selector in "N"

for more than a few minutes. These can drain the traction battery, which can be harmful.

The fastest and most economical way to warm up any car is to drive it.

·
Registered
928 Posts
flare said:
the prius does have an electric heater, however
In the same vein: the prius does have a dome light, however.

jeromep said:
There is also an electric water pump in addition to the electric water pump . . .
Why do they need to keep adding electric water pumps? Where is all this electric water coming from. Is there danger of an electric flood?

:p :p :p

Hmm, must be official evil Pokémon day.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
thorstenb78 said:
As I understood from the technical description, the A/C of Prius 2 is working electrically (not hydraulically)
I was wondering what you meant by AC not working hydraulically. The AC system is not solid state peltier if that is what you are asking, it does have a compressor and refrigerant. However the compressor is a variable speed electric, and not mechanically coupled to the ICE via a belt system as in other cars, where they are at the mercy of the ICE RPM.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
jeromep said:
There is also an electric water pump in addition to the electric water pump . . .
Why do they need to keep adding electric water pumps? Where is all this electric water coming from. Is there danger of an electric flood?

:p :p :p

Hmm, must be official evil Pokémon day.[/quote]
Well, that is a flub. I meant an electric water pump in addition to the mechanical water pump that is driven by the ICE.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
It's not a flub. Double adjectives can provide lots of fun.
It could be (electric water) pump, or electric (water pump), depending on what word applies to what. Math can do the same thing, except we have rules for default application of operators when parenthesis are not available to settle the ambiguity. Without the rule of multiplication over addition, 5+6*7 would not be the same as 7*6+5.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts