Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of an after market fuel tank thats bigger than the current one in the 2004 Prius.
Is it even possible to replace it with a bigger one.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Ephemeral said:
Has anyone heard of an after market fuel tank thats bigger than the current one in the 2004 Prius.
I haven't heard of it. The bladder in the US Prius helps it to achieve the PZEV ratings (Partial Zero Emission Vehicle = SULEV driving emissions, no evaporative emissions, and a nice extended warranty in CA-emission states)

However, I'll note that the European Prius does not have the bladder tank, and it holds slightly more fuel.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ephemeral said:
You will likely never find one. The fuel tank design is certified at the federal level for crashworthiness as part of the vehicle crashworthiness certification. Replacement tanks are made to OEM dimensions and specs to retain this rating, otherwise liability is increased. Further, most vehicles have fuel tanks carefully fit to the vehicle, maximizing their capacity for the space available. The cost to re-engineer the Prius tank for the few that might be sold if one was made available would far exceed what anyone would pay. Don't hold your breath!

·
Registered
215 Posts
windsurfdog said:
Why a bigger tank at all? 500 mile range is certainly past my bladder capability (and I'm not talking about the Prius bladder either!) :p
Because a lot of people aren't getting the 11.9 gallon capacity... The largest fill up I've maneged to get is 8.2... Combined with my driving habits and change of wheels/tires which effect my MPG, I am DAMN lucky if I get over 320 miles per tank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts