Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My aunt heard this from a friend who bought a Prius last year. Is it true that you have to drive it under a certain mph for about 1k miles? That seems completely false to me, and my dad thought she was remembering the 1950's or something. Nonetheless, my new car is coming in May, and I must drive 60-70 right a way just to get it home.

·
Registered
610 Posts
2004 Prius Owner's Manual, page 202

"Break-in Period

Drive gently and avoid high speeds.

"Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But following a new simple tips for the first 1000 km (600 miles) can add to the future economy and long life of your vehicle:

• Avoid full-throttle acceleration when starting and driving.

• Avoid racing the hybrid engine.

• Try to avoid hard stops during the first 300 km (200 miles).

I believe the Oaner's Manual supercedes "someone told her....."

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
ChasSuitt said:
2004 Prius Owner's Manual, page 202

"Break-in Period

Drive gently and avoid high speeds.

"Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But following a new simple tips for the first 100 km (600 miles) can add to the future economy and long life of your vehicle:

• Avoid full-throttle acceleration when starting and driving.

• Avoid racing the hybrid engine.

• Try to avoid hard stops during the first 300 km (200 miles).

I believe the Oaner's Manual supercedes "someone told her....."
Now, you can't fault her for not reading the manual, as she doesn't have one yet. Anyway the manual, when new, should not be read at more than three pages per day for the first month. Once past the 'break in" period, you can read as much as you like. In the mean time bring your questions here and we will look it up for you.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Back in the old days (so I hear.. since I'm not that old) they used to have to break in their car and such. 50mph is nothing.. I'd say try to avoid anything above 80 till that 600 mi point.. haha.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Re: A 1000 mile break-in period before you can drive over 50

kanne said:
My aunt heard this from a friend who bought a Prius last year. Is it true that you have to drive it under a certain mph for about 1k miles? That seems completely false to me, and my dad thought she was remembering the 1950's or something. Nonetheless, my new car is coming in May, and I must drive 60-70 right a way just to get it home.
On regular cars, you can't.. well you shouldn't drive over x mph. (new Toyotas, it's 88km/h) but because the Prius doesn't have a regular transmission, that won't apply.

·
Registered
991 Posts

Tideland Prius said:
kanne said:
On regular cars, you can't.. well you shouldn't drive over x mph. (new Toyotas, it's 88km/h) but because the Prius doesn't have a regular transmission, that won't apply.
I don't think this is correct anymore.. I believe too many cars were being killed from being overabused during the "break in period" that the car companies now run the engine an x amount of miles before installing it in the car to make sure the abuse doesn't kill it.. This was the case when my friend bought his car a few years back and I was wondering why he was already driving like a maniac.. my dad had said the same thing when I asked him.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

Phish Phood said:
I believe too many cars were being killed from being overabused during the "break in period" that the car companies now run the engine an x amount of miles before installing it in the car to make sure the abuse doesn't kill it.. This was the case when my friend bought his car a few years back and I was wondering why he was already driving like a maniac.. my dad had said the same thing when I asked him.
Sounds like wishful thinking. Better to follow the advice in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
991 Posts

richard schumacher said:
[quote="Phish Phood":gwrocwwd]I believe too many cars were being killed from being overabused during the "break in period" that the car companies now run the engine an x amount of miles before installing it in the car to make sure the abuse doesn't kill it.. This was the case when my friend bought his car a few years back and I was wondering why he was already driving like a maniac.. my dad had said the same thing when I asked him.
Sounds like wishful thinking. Better to follow the advice in the owner's manual.[/quote:gwrocwwd]

Yes but "avoid high speeds".. you can't tell me driving normal speeds (here in California, 65-75mph) would be considered "high." Its not like I'm saying to go out there and drive full-throttle as highly unsuggested in the manual.. its just no points in driving like a granny as if the car needs THAT kind of a break in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Actually, don't worry about it. For at least the first 600 miles or so you will be fascinated by the MFD, and you will be trying to drive to maximize your MPG. (It is almost like a video game.) You will automatically be following the manual's advice!

I think the best way to drive this car is simply to enjoy it. You don't have to worry about a thing.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:) Thanks highroute... I corrected my typo on the 100km to 1000km..

"Just washed my fingers and can't do a thing with them...." :lol:

or... "That blasted keyboard keeps making mistakes..."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.