Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last July, our Prius had to endure an outside temperature of 108 degrees; yesterday morning, after an overnight low of -10 - and we do not have a garage, so the Prius was COLD - my wife and I drove it to Pueblo in mostly 9-degree weather (with a spike all the way up to 16). It reached the low-to-mid 20s by the time we returned.

The Prius was fantastic. This was the easiest cold start I've ever experienced, and the interior heated up relatively quickly. I complain about the heat pouring in the windshiled during the summer, but yesterday it was literally comforting.

The Prius takes a big mpg hit at both 9 and 108 degrees, but I think the drop-off was more dramatic last summer. Despite the awful first two bars yesterday - about 13 mpg and 27 mpg - we got nearly 52 mpg over 95 miles. That's lower than usual for that trip but pretty spectacular when compared with just about anything else. With temperatures in the hundreds, our mileage was in the low 40s.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Talk about a big hit? My Prius has dropped to bars under 25 for most of my "cold weather" driving this month. My mpg is hovering at 30. However, upon returning to Chicago from Puerto Rico today, despite 8 to 10 inches of snow on the car, 9 days out in the bitter cold on an airport parking lot, and wind chills nearly as cold as Colorado, I had an amazingly quick start and warmup. What a relief, as we were already wondering how Toyota could reach us as we froze in the lot.

·
Registered
582 Posts
temp range

Borinquen!

But back on topic, I claim a range of -19 F to 119 F on the Prius display. I think that the record is actually wider.

DAS

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
evander said:
"and wind chills nearly as cold as Colorado"
It's worse here if you get into the mountains, but the cold in Colorado's front range cities is nothing compared with the freezing wind whipping off Lake Michigan. That cold, humid air is a killer! (This is true of the east coast as well. I never owned long underwear in Colorado, but it was one of the first things I bought when I moved to NYC.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts