Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Prius last week and I still don't have my User's Manual due to delays in translation to Portuguese! So I don't know if what's happening is normal, but I notice for 2 or 3 times that, almost stopped, my prius started consuming 99.9l/100Km, i.e. less than 0.5 Miles per Gallon! It only marks that for tinny seconds, but it raises a lot the average. Since that when it happens the ICE isn't working hard (the sound doesn't indicate that), I think this must be a bug... Can anyone help me on that?

Also, especially being prius so quiet, the only sound that I hear while driving through holes is on the rear right seat. I tested if the seat was well attached but the sound doesn’t go away… Has anyone heard a sound like that? Should I use Warranty on that?

Thank You!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
jaoesed,

I wouldn't worry too much about 'momentary' fluxuations in fuel economy as so many different conditions can cause huge changes.

Check your average after using a full tank...

Also, not being metric minded, I would wonder if you're seeing the correct display... I also see 99.9 as I come to a stop, but that's miles / gallons not the other way around...

·
Registered
81 Posts
joaoesd said:
I bought my Prius last week and I still don't have my User's Manual due to delays in translation to Portuguese! So I don't know if what's happening is normal, but I notice for 2 or 3 times that, almost stopped, my prius started consuming 99.9l/100Km, i.e. less than 0.5 Miles per Gallon! It only marks that for tinny seconds, but it raises a lot the average. Since that when it happens the ICE isn't working hard (the sound doesn't indicate that), I think this must be a bug... Can anyone help me on that?
Thank You!
No bug, the ICE is turning to charge or heat up, and, due to the low speed (even stopped) you see the infamous 99.9 l*100 km (equivalent to 0 mpg)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem with 99.9l/100Km is that it increases mileage!

I filled up Monday and made reset to the consumption screen. After 2 or 3 miles I parked and got 3,*l/100km. It was very nice, but I used EV mode for a while. When I got back later that night, just some seconds after starting (batteries were not full, but almost), it appeared 99.9l/100km. Fine for me, ICE was charging batteries, except that, because of those seconds, mileage got to 5,*l/100km, which is more than the average consumption Toyota gives for Freeway ride... That is, the system doesn’t sees 99.9l as 0.0l… But is ICE really consuming 99.9l for 100 Km? Just to charge batteries? I find that hard to believe!

I only hear the sound from the rear seat when the car shakes (holes, …) and it seams to be from the seat it self, or at least I hope! It’s difficult to describe it…

Thank You!

·
Registered
81 Posts
joaoesd said:
That is, the system doesn’t sees 99.9l as 0.0l… But is ICE really consuming 99.9l for 100 Km? Just to charge batteries? I find that hard to believe!
Actually, the ICE is consuming much more than 99,9 l*100 Km, about infinte l*100Km, it's just that the MFD does not have sufficient digits to show the correct value.

And she NOT charging batteries in that case, but warming up. The ICE will not switch off until the ICE has reached optium tempetature.

The Prius is not that convenient if you do 3 Km twice a day.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I got a rattle that sounded like it came from the right rear. Turned out to be the cargo cover springs rattling. Extending the shade stopped the noise.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I KNEW it!! There is a connection between the Owners' Manual and Portuguese! HAH! And you said it wasn't so... :!:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts