Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search for info here on this but didn't find exactly my situation. Advice please. Today I received a notice that my car "may be due" for its 7500 mile checkup. It's a 2005, one year old with 6900 miles, has had a tire rotation and oil fill at 3000 miles and another fill at 5000 miles. Questions: What does a 7500 mile checkup entail (it's not in my maintenance guide) and would it be wise to have a checkup with a year old Prius? I could call up the dealer but figured you guys would give fuller explanations and opinions.

·
Registered
736 Posts
7500 mile checkup

I think that your dealer is just trying to make an extra buck. If you follow the manufacturer's schedule, service is only called for every 5,000 miles. Dealer service departments have their own recommendations, but they almost always exceed those provided by the manufacturer. They can sell some people on the need to due extra service, like engine and transmission flushing, that are real money makers for the dealer, but are probably not needed by the customer most of the time. Save your money, and go by the book. As for the "may be due" part, they are simply guessing at your mileage.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Just follow Toyota's recommended service intervals of every 5000 miles. Anything more often is just taking money from your pocket and putting it in the dealer's pocket.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. Interestingly, I received the notice a day after going in for a paint sealant application which gave them access to my mileage. Hmmm.

·
Registered
736 Posts
7500 mile checkup

I doubt that visit had anything to do with the notice. In fact, if you look at the notice carefully, you may find that it was mailed from out of your area. I have received such notices from an independent service which apparently contracts with dealers. The dealers can estimate your mileage based on the last couple of service intervals.
Also, don't believe everything they told you about that "paint sealant." It won't do anything more than a good wax job would do. It is another money maker for the dealer. You can still expect hardwater spots, bird dropping stains, etc. You will still need an occasional polish and wax job to keep the finish looking good.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
US 2001-2003 Prius have a maintenance schedule of every 6 months or 7500 miles.

US 2004-current Prius have a maintenance schedule of 6 months or 5000 miles.

Perhaps your dealer's mailing list program recognizes that you have a Prius, but doesn't know what model year you have, and therefore is using the Classic's schedule?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 7500 mile checkup

Roger V said:
I doubt that visit had anything to do with the notice. In fact, if you look at the notice carefully, you may find that it was mailed from out of your area. I have received such notices from an independent service which apparently contracts with dealers. The dealers can estimate your mileage based on the last couple of service intervals.
Also, don't believe everything they told you about that "paint sealant." It won't do anything more than a good wax job would do. It is another money maker for the dealer. You can still expect hardwater spots, bird dropping stains, etc. You will still need an occasional polish and wax job to keep the finish looking good.
I agree that the paint sealant is just a good wax job. For some unknown reason, I'm receiving it free every 6 months for 3 years. Never paid for it, have no idea why, but I'm taking advantage of the offer. Oh, and the birds around here must have a very odd diet, as my car demonstrates every morning! :cry:

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
MtnTraveler said:
mrv said:
US 2001-2003 Prius have a maintenance schedule of every 6 months or 7500 miles.

US 2004-current Prius have a maintenance schedule of 6 months or 5000 miles.
Why do you think there's a difference?
That's what the scheduled maintenance guides state.

My GUESS: When the CHA/JDH tire replacement came out for the 2001 and early 2002 Prius, that letter suggested that to prevent early/uneven wear that the tires should be rotated at every 5000 miles. It's much easier to do that as part of the regularly scheduled services, so just change the oil change interval from 7500 miles to 5000 miles. Other guess has to do with the increase on the RPM limiter from 4500 to 5000 between the models.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
It has been speculated that Toyota got hurt with a sludge problem in one of their vehicles, which had a change interval of 7500 miles. So they reduced the interval. Hopefully they also fixed the problem.

·
Registered
884 Posts
7500 mile oil change interval

I think it may come down to money. My 2002 Prius came with free oil changes and a road-side maintenance card. I think Toyota increased the normal oil change interval from 5,000 to 7,500 miles because they were paying for it (and maybe it really doesn't need to be changed at 5,000).

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input. It may be a moneymaker for Toyota, but my husband says checking the Prius out every 6 months (I guess it's been about that) is a safeguard against problems and worth the extra cash. Usually I'm the one reminding him not to be penny wise and pound foolish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.