Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BEFORE PLACING MY PRIUS ORDER WITH MY DEALER ON 2/10/04, I RENTED ONE FOR A FIVE DAY PERIOD (AN 04, #9 PACKAGE).

ONE AFTERNOON I DROVE FROM PACIFIC COAST HIGHWAY AND BEACH BLVD. (IN HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA.) NORTH ON BEACH BLVD. TO IMPERIAL HWY. (LA HABRA). THIS IS APPROXIMATELY A 16 MILE DRIVE. ACCORDING TO THE ON-BOARD COMPUTER MY AVERAGE MPG WAS 62.3

DURING THE REST OF MY TIME DRIVING THE PRIUS I HAD A DIFFICULT TIME GETTING BELOW 50 MPG. OF COURSE THERE WERE THOSE TIMES WHEN I HAD MY FOOT PRESSED TO THE FLOOR...NOW THAT'S TORQUE!! EVEN THEN I DIDN'T GET MUCH LESS THAN 40 MPG AND I WAS "FLYING"!

NONE THE LESS I'M QUICKLY APPROACHING THE 5 MONTH MARK ON THE WAITING LIST (#9 SILVER) BUT I DO HAVE MY KEY CHAIN AND TOYOTA LETTER SOMEWHERE IN ONE OF MY DESK DRAWERS. IT'S BEEN SO LONG I FORGOT WERE I PUT IT.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hi Kurt,
Glad to hear your rental experience was fun. Hope your order comes in soon.

Do you happen to recall how many miles were on the rental? Also, what's the elevation change of your 16 mile drive (for us East coasters who are unfamiliar with your territory)?

·
Registered
186 Posts
RSnyder said:
Hi Kurt,
Glad to hear your rental experience was fun. Hope your order comes in soon.

Do you happen to recall how many miles were on the rental? Also, what's the elevation change of your 16 mile drive (for us East coasters who are unfamiliar with your territory)?
That area is very close to sea level. The temps lately have been around 65 to 80, since it is right on the water where he started, figure 65 to 80(highest) in land. We have been experiencing June gloom here in Socal. That drive he mentioned is full of stoplights too.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Sounds like Kurt found a great place to drive a Prius!
Since you say it's full of stoplights, I'll guess he stayed under 50 MPH. Most cars would lose a lot to the stoplights, but the Prius regenerates for the next go! Prius Genius strikes again!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
62.3 MPG

BACK AGAIN...
BEACH BLVD. FROM PACIFIC COAST HWY TO IMPERIAL HWY IN ORANGE COUNTY, CA. IS RELATIVELY FLAT. THERE ARE STOP LIGHTS TOO HOWEVER, MY DRIVE WAS ON A SATURDAY AFTERNOON. THERE WERE STOPS BUT MANY TIMES I WAS TRAVELING AROUND 25 TO 35 MPH CRUISING THROUGH SEVERAL GREEN LIGHTS AT ONE TIME GOING 1/2 TO 3/4'S OF A MILE AT A TIME AND RUNNING PURELY ON ELECTRIC.

THE RENTAL...I DON'T RECALL EXACTLY HOW MANY MILES WAS ON IT, AROUND 15,000 TO 17,000 TO MY BEST RECOLLECTION. . I RENTED IT BACK IN FEBRUARY (NO JUNE GLOOM AS SOMEBODY ELSE STATED). THE OUTSIDE TEMP WAS AROUND 70 DEGREES AND IT WAS SUNNY THAT PARTICULAR DAY.

I'M NOT EXPECTING THIS TYPE OF GAS MILEAGE UNTIL THE ENGINE HAS BROKEN IN. I'M ONLY CALLING IT AS I SAW IT FOR MYSELF IN THAT PARTICULAR VEHICLE ON THAT PARTICULAR DAY.

I WAS "SOLD" ON THE PRIUS AFTER MUCH RESEARCH BUT AFTER DRIVING IT I REALIZED WHAT A TRULY GREAT CAR IT IS. ACCELERATION, TIGHT TURNING RADIUS, HANDLING, ELECTROINIC TECHNOLOGY AND OF COURSE THE MPG ALL ROLLED UP INTO ONE CAR.

BUT IT'S ALL STILL A MEMORY. STILL PATIENTLY WAITING. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts