Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shock:
My Dad just heard on the news in the Boston area that the battery on the Prius needs to be changed after 100,000 miles and costs $6000. Anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
He's hearing typical mainstream media fearmongering, I think. There are people here on this forum who have driven their older-model Prii for more than 100,000 miles, and they have not had to change their batteries.

The Toyota warranty is 100,000 miles or 8 years. Toyota's testing has gone far beyond that. The battery pack doesn't get deep-discharged, and should last far longer than the warranty.

Is it possible that the warranty was misreported as if it were the expected life? Or is it possible that your dad misunderstood this?

You might want to spend some time looking at the Prius section of the Toyota website, where you'll find far more specific information regarding this subject.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One other thing to note, is that the Prius battery stack is made up of a bunch of individual batteries.

If there is a failure in one, only one needs to be replaced, not the entire stack.

·
Registered
425 Posts
rdrast said:
One other thing to note, is that the Prius battery stack is made up of a bunch of individual batteries.

If there is a failure in one, only one needs to be replaced, not the entire stack.
Not on the newer Prius. I think you will find its sealed?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't the drivetrain have to meet environmental criteria after it has been driven longer than 100,000 miles before it can meet PZEV ratings? If this is true, then the battery pack must perform to a reasonable standard at and beyond 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
$6000 would be the price to replace an entire battery pack today out of warranty. So far there have been no reports of *any* battery replacements in the current or previous Prius models except for accident damage. Check back in about eight years :_>

·
Registered
13 Posts
There have been two entire battery pack replacements here in California. Apparently one needed only a single 7.2V module replaced, but Toyota wanted the whole pack replaced so that they could send the whole pack back to Japan for analysis. The other pack simply had a full pack failure. I am talking about 2004 models.

The NiMH batteries are so meticulaously tested at each phase of manufacture by Panasonic and then Toyota that the chances of premature failure are very low. As with all high tech products, there will always be odd occurrences no mater how much inspection and engineering is done. Toyota has invested over a billion dollars in this technology and the last thing they want is a public relations disaster with the heart of their baby ( the batteries).

I'm curious to see if Ford with their hush-hush purchase of first generation Toyota hybrid technology will be able to offer such reliability as the Prius. My local Ford dealer will be receiving three Hybrid Escapes in October, which are already sold. What kind of waiting list will there be on the Escape?

NiMHPrius

·
Registered
515 Posts
The battery-pack cost is actually in the in the mid-$3,000 range. And that's in today's world, not later when production is much higher and competition has entered the market. Both will drive the cost down.

It is expected to exceed 150,000 miles without any issues at all. And then when you do start experiencing diminished capacity, that will only affect MPG not the power available for acceleration.

Also note that the battery-pack consists of modules, each of which is controlled independently and can be replaced independently. It is most definitely not an all-or-none setup.

·
Registered
381 Posts
john1701a said:
Also note that the battery-pack consists of modules, each of which is controlled independently and can be replaced independently. It is most definitely not an all-or-none setup.
Yep; owner's manual states "quantity: 28". :)

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
To quote Toyota from http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_libra ... d=20040623
<quote>
How long does the Prius battery last and what is the replacement cost?

The Prius battery (and the battery-power management system) has been designed to maximize battery life. In part this is done by keeping the battery at an optimum charge level - never fully draining it and never fully recharging it. As a result, the Prius battery leads a pretty easy life. We have lab data showing the equivalent of 180,000 miles with no deterioration and expect it to last the life of the vehicle. We also expect battery technology to continue to improve: the second-generation model battery is 15% smaller, 25% lighter, and has 35% more specific power than the first. This is true of price as well. Between the 2003 and 2004 models, service battery costs came down 36% and we expect them to continue to drop so that by the time replacements may be needed it won't be a much of an issue. Since the car went on sale in 2000, Toyota has not replaced a single battery for wear and tear.
</quote>

The WARRANTY for the battery and hybrid components is 8 years or 100,000 miles. Just because the warranty runs out doesn't mean that the item needs replacing.
(Note that for the PZEV rating, 2004 Prius in CA, ME, MA, NY, and VT have an extended emissions warranty, which gives you a 10 year/150,000 mile warranty on the battery pack.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts