Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, here's a strange question for you all - hopefully someone knows the answer to this one.

I recently purchased a 2004 Prius - it had 10k miles on it. I love the car!! But other cars I looked at on the display have 4 buttons - mine has 6 (3 on each side), they told me it doesn't have the navigation system or the other options installed, yet when I push the buttons - a message appears that says "External System not detected." Does this mean the buttons are hooked up, and I need to add the system somewhere, or maybe it's present, but not hooked up? Where would I look for the navigation system? Everyone keeps telling me, it's there, it's just missing a part of some sort... if it is.. where is it?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can answer this.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
There are very different (more) buttons on the steering wheel, and around the MFD, for a 2004-2005 Prius with Navigation as compared to one without. You also get some extra screens - for the phonebook, a calendar/memo, and the Maintenance screen, besides the map/destination screens, with the Navigation system.

The unit itself for the 2004-2005 US Prius lives under the driver's seat.

Have you had any problems with your audio system, your touchscreen not responding to you, no outside air temperature displayed, no arrow flows on the energy monitor, or a "stuck" consumption screen (showing max good fuel economy, even though you know your engine has been running)? Do you also get the "external system not connected" errors when trying to access the Climate control screen? If so, then your navigation system also doing the "external system not connected" error is part of a larger, usually intermittant, problem that has been reported on some US, Canadian, and Australian Prius (more noticable with the colder weather): a bad display (or more likely a bad display computer, which is part of the display unit).

What did your window sticker say about the car, and does the window sticker's VIN match the VIN of your car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No...

Okay, maybe I wasn't clear enough in my message. Anyway Coastal Dave (I think) responded to my email sent directly to him.

I did an inspection below the drivers seat, and I believe what I see is a set of wires that have been cut and capped using electrical tape below the drivers seat.

There is no connector present, but I believe what I am seeing is the wires to hook up the DVD navigation system (?). I will have to remove the seat to get a closer look at it. But from what I can tell, I believe my car was wired for the DVD navigation system, but somehow at the last minute Toyota decided not to install it in my Prius.

Technically, I think I should be able to find a wrecked Prius, make an offer on the DVD Navigation system, and figure out how to install it myself.

I'll let you all know more as I go spelunking under my drivers seat to see what I can find. I may even take photos of the wires if that helps anyone determine for me if I am navigation system ready.

Anyone successfully hooked up the DVD navigation system in this situation before?

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no errors...

Sorry, didn't answer the question - no errors when using any other buttons. And I don't have any navigation, phonebook, buttons on the steering wheel.

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
photo?

By chance can someone post a photo of what the steering wheel buttons look like in a Prius that has the DVD Nav system installed?

Thanks again!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
It looks like soneone took it out....... With the UK Prius, only the model with the NAV has those buttons, the lower ones don't. The wheel simply doesn't have them....

In the UK, we have:

T3 - Basic model
T4 - Slightly higher model
T SPIRIT - Tom model, with NAV & Bluetooth

Not sure the difference betwen the T3 & T4

·
Registered
86 Posts
Very good point! I just can't believe someone took it out! It's only any use in a 2G Prius and lame without the steering wheel controls!

Unless they took it to replace a faulty one, but as it's a 2004 model, you'd think that they are all still under warranty anyway!!!

Lcuky they necer took the screen!!

S

1 - 11 of 11 Posts