Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this car has not ceased to amaze me
almost 300km today and average 4.0L/100km (city, some highway)
the first few days i ran about 5.2
then 4.9 and some 4.4, 4.5 and i thought that would be about as good as it gets
i realize it's just one day but that's a net savings of 14$
and what incredible comfort and ease of use

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
yea, but those are kilometers.... miles are harder :p

Seriously, good show.

I got my current tank up to 56.5 by tailgating the same tanker truck two days in a row (odd luck, that)

Then took it to the car wash, and by the time they got done with it, the battery was on 1 bar and the mileage dropped to 52.1

Maybe I'll get lucky and see the tanker tomorrow :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Yep works great, though I wouldn't recommend it as a rule, as it's not safe.

I was just trying to see the difference.... For this particular truck the difference was about 6 mpg give or take a bit. I think that's because the back of it was pretty solid low to the ground. I've gotten less effect behind your average every day 18 wheeler.

Pickup trucks (esp the small kind) with the tailgate closed seem to be good too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Before I got to read your replys, I decided to see what happens. I saw a tanker who was doing about 2 MPH less than I was, so I figured I could live with the reduced speed. I was amazed at the differance in MPG I got!! I was nearing the end of my tank (which means it's hard to get your average to go up much). Driving home the priviouse day and driving in that day, I was steady at 48.4 MPG. After driving closely behing this tanker, I actually went up to 48.7 I started following this guy at about 450 miles on the current tank, if that help put the .3 MPG differance into perspective!!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Yes, it's an amazing difference, but don't get yourself killed doing foolish things. This is not a relaxing way to drive, and requres you to be more than fully alert.

When I was drafting, the radio was off, my eyes were fixed on the tanker, and my left foot was hovering over the break...just in case.

·
Registered
299 Posts
There is no way I would make a habbit out of it!! I was using CC, CONSTANTLY adjusting speed while my left foot was ready to slam the break. Also, I did leave between 1.5 and 2.5 car lengths of distance. It's a stressful way to drive! I only did it for about 7 minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts