Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
:) HI bobjeri

Specify EXACTLY what you want done - like Change the Oil (DO NOT OVERFILL) and rotate the tires per manual (FRONT TO BACK; BACK TO FRONT) and set tire pressures per your preference (FRONT 2# higher than REAR). Avoid saying: "Do the 5,000 maintenance."

Some dealers service departments will attempt to perform many unneeded services. Follow the "Scheduled Maintenance Guide" you received with your Prius. Unless you have a unique environment, ignore the "Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions."

One other thought... If you have an Independent Shop you trust, having them do the services would not affect your Toyota Warranty - just keep good records.

You have a fabulous machine - ***ENJOY IT***

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good advice. I provided the oil as I wanted Mobile 1. I gave them 4 qts and said to put in 3 1/2 and give me back the half quart for next time. They put all 4 in. I checked the oil level when I picked the car up and it was overfilled. They said that took all 4 qts and I said if I had given them 5 qts, it probably would have taken that as well. I made them take out a half quart. The next time I only gave them 3 1/2 qts. No problem.

I have them check the computer for any TSBs or other issues. I also give them the tire pressure I desire but I also check it when back home and the car has been idle overnight. Changing pressure on warm tires results in too low pressures. It takes a long time for the tires to cool enough to check pressure.

I also insure they reset the maintenance requuired light.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Old n Bold said:
Good advice. I provided the oil as I wanted Mobile 1. I gave them 4 qts and said to put in 3 1/2 and give me back the half quart for next time. They put all 4 in. I checked the oil level when I picked the car up and it was overfilled. They said that took all 4 qts and I said if I had given them 5 qts, it probably would have taken that as well. I made them take out a half quart. The next time I only gave them 3 1/2 qts. No problem.

I have them check the computer for any TSBs or other issues. I also give them the tire pressure I desire but I also check it when back home and the car has been idle overnight. Changing pressure on warm tires results in too low pressures. It takes a long time for the tires to cool enough to check pressure.

I also insure they reset the maintenance requuired light.
heh. Yeah, the first THREE services they forgot to reset the light. But, the first three were all done at one mile UNDER the stated mileage (4999, 9999, and 14999,) where the fourth was at over the stated mileage (20013.) That could have made a difference. (Before you pass the 5k mark, the light only 'blinks', once you pass it, it stays on all the time. So they might have seen that it was 'already off', and not reset it.)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Gee, what did they expect, oil to start coming off the top when it's full?

As for checking for TSBs, you might not have had that done. TSBs, in general are 'heads up' for the technician, not recalls. Much of the firmware updates, which they call calibrations, are listed in TSBs and are considered needed only if the described problem occurs, such as the 'Engine failed to start' DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code). Campaigns on the other hand, are what we would call a voluntary recall. There were only 2 SSCs dealing with a calibration update, one superceding the other, to update the HV ECU. The update was mainly made an SSC to comply with ODBII DTC error code standards.

To truely know if you have the latest calibrations is to have the service department obtain the calibration IDs from the HV ECU and ECM (Engine Control Module), and compare them to the latest ones listed in the TSBs and campaigns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts