Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Not sure what did it, maybe warmer weather in New England, maybe keeping almost all windows closed & A/C off -- just one open a slit in back to promote vents giving out fresh air, maybe passing 2500 miles, maybe getting stuck in 20minute + traffic jam during each tank, maybe all together, but still great, after staying in 40s 1st two months, it's all great! 2 month anniversary yesterday :D

Greg
04 white #6

·
Registered
319 Posts
That is very cool. My 2 month aniversery was the day before yesterday. But I only have 1,300 miles on the car. And my average mpgs are about 40-41.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that eliminates 2 possible reasons ...

Brian:
You live in southern california where it's always warm, so that's one possible reason down, and length of ownership taken care of, too. I'm so glad we have this forum to share info on, thanks for moderating.
Greg

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am really trying to improve on my mileage. The heat is very nice for the mileage, but with heat comes the NEED for A/C. So mine is always on.
So my mileage is low. But I am trying.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Brian,
I use my a/c 100% of the time in Florida and I'm averaging 49 mpg over the life of the car so I wouldn't consider a/c to be a major factor in lower mpg achievements.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My best so far is 53.6mpg. I got 904km on that tank.

I live on the coast in British Columbia and this was in april/may.

since then i've been averaging around 50mpg.

I think the secret is to avoid those little trips that eat up your gas. the vehicle needs to run the gas engine for a bit every time you start the car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
glad to hear a/c not the reason

Hi
I'm really glad the a/c isn't the reason for the mpg figure, 'cause it's eventually going to get hot & humid here in New England and I really won't have a choice.
Greg [gamatt]
04 white #6 3000+mi

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my Prius since Nov 03 and have 13K miles on it already. I often got 52mpg to 55.5mpg with 90% freeway driving. I think driving habit will greatly affect the mpg. I think Chevron gas is best for the Prius; I use minimum octane (97 in Cali).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mpg same as Harley!

Got gas this morning & guy was gassing up Harley; asked his mpg, if he kept track. He said, 45-50. I said, that's what I get, 50.3 today after using a/c some! Great, as usual.
Greg
04 white #6 3600mi

·
Registered
112 Posts
So far i have have put about 300 miles on my Prius within the last 2 days. First trip was 118 miles of California's high speed traffic. (75-95) I was mostly in the 75 -80 range. The car still gets about 35mpg when going that fast. I'm glad i'm back in my home town area where i can keep the car around 45mph. Don't like keeping it at those high speeds.

back on track here. I picked up the car and drove those high speeds for avout 118 miles. Then i was home where everyone i know wanted to test drive it or get a ride. Everyone absolitely loves this car. Then, later that night i took the car to my bosses house. He was extremely impressed. He wants one now. After that, i went over CA-17 which goes over the santa cruz mountains. I though my mpg would go down here but it stayed pretty well up. The next morning i came back over 17 carrying my g/f and her dorm items all in boxes ( love the cargo space) All yesterday i was driving around. My mpg keeps on raising. Currently it's very close to 41mpg. 300 miles on this tank and i'm just below half a tank. I think my good driving that i was practicing yesterday is only sipping on fuel. sometimes i'll average around 75mpg on the 5min interval display. Most of the time it's a 50mpg miminal. this car is awesome. it practicaly drives itself. and the navigation is just fun. very accurate over here in San Jose, CA. Hope everyone else is having a good experiance like i am.

·
Registered
77 Posts
V8,
Congrats! Hope you enjoy it for a long time. I'll be interested to see if you will experience any ill effects from straying outside of the "don't drive over 62 mph for the first 600 miles" break-in routine. Hopefully, you will not experience anything detrimental.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in NE Florida and commute to Jacksonville. Lifetime average 53 mpg. Averaged 55 mpg in May. This past weekend I went to Atlanta, GA and averaged 51 mpg driving 67 mph average most of the time using the cruise control. Total miles 6000. :D .

·
Registered
6 Posts
50 MPG??

I just got my new Prius a week ago. I do a lot of driving and just passed 1,000 miles. So far I am averaging 47MPG. Will my mileage improve to over 50MPG? I do mostly freeway driving in Southern California and set the cruise control to 67 mph. By the way, I think this is one of the nicest cars I have ever owned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When i first got the car i was getting about 38mpg's a tank. I am now getting 52-53 mpg's a tank with 5200 miles on it. I live in central florida(St. Petersburg) with temps in the low 90's right now. I run the a/c all the time (set at 77 degrees).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts