Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must have a masochistic streak because I once again took my car to Toyota of Melbourne...

I dropped it off Friday afternoon with instructions to call when it was completed. <insert>Because he wouldn't be in on Saturday,</insert> the service rep wrote 11:00 AM <insert>as a projected completion time</insert> on the write-up.

At 11:30 AM <insert>On Saturday</insert> I called, and after being transferred 4 times, was told by Vanessa that Kenny Aquilina would call me back once they looked in the other rep's box to find out the status. I left my cell# and went to have lunch.

At 1:00 PM, having still not received a return phone call, I drove by the lot. I located my car and used the wife's fob to jump in and check for the maintenance light.

I've not checked tires or oil yet, but I'd bet they ain't perfect
At this point I was real tempted to drive off and wait for a phone call, but since a new fob was more expensive than maintenance costs, and because I couldn't be 100% sure the recall work was done, I went inside.

There, I was taken to the parts room (see sign) where (and note the details here) Vanessa ... standing at checkout counter ... next to the phone ... thumbed through a wall-rack of service orders .... located mine ... ran my credit card, and sent me on my way.

Now I got to wonder why she couldn't look in the rack when I was on the phone at 11:30...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
What an opportunity! Apparently you are satisfied with all your current parts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hep said:
What an opportunity! Apparently you are satisfied with all your current parts?
Well, now that you mention it, I have been trying to grow a third arm out the top of my head...but the subliminal messages don't seem to be working. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hyperion said:
My question would be, "had they worked on the car yet?"
That's why I checked for the maintenance light first... I knew they'd done *something* because it was cleared out... I just didn't know how much...

I did have to explicitly ask for the sheet that said the recall work was done. So far the car still runs :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
Well, first of all, the recall work takes about 2 hours, so if you came in at 11 am, it wouldn't be done until about 1 pm.

You didn't state what time the workorder had for the completion time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dan...now I'm really ticked off <insert>at them</insert>...

To clarify / sumarize...

At 4:15 PM on Friday 12/2 I dropped off the car. I hand wrote my home # on the work order, larger than life.

At 11:30 AM on Saturday 12/3 I called and spoke with Vanessa. Vanessa couldn't put me through to anyone who could tell me if my car was done. She said she'd relay the message to Kenny Aquilina who would call me back with a status. I gave her my cell phone #.

At 1:00 PM on Saturday 12/3... Not having had a call back... I went to the dealership. I checked the status of my car myself, then went in to find someone to release it to me.

At that point, I was taken to Vanessa who had the information I wanted over the phone right at her fingertips.

And to confirm...I just went down and checked the recipts and work records. They show that both the 50,000 mile service, and the recall were completed on Friday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
50,000 and recall

Just dropped mine off for 55k service and was told I am "eligible" for the recall. Is that like being "eligible" for the death penalty? Do I really want this? I haven't received a notice in the mail, but I was assured by the service writer and the technician that this is something that I should have done, as it includes updates to the battery ECU and I think he said the engine ECU as well. What an ECU is I haven't a clue. I was told this would take two hours in addition to the regular service. I usually wait there while my car is serviced, but opted for a ride home this time. Fortunately for me, my dealer is more responsive and reliable than the one Melgish uses.
Roger V
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: 50,000 and recall

Roger V said:
Just dropped mine off for 55k service and was told I am "eligible" for the recall. Is that like being "eligible" for the death penalty? Do I really want this? I haven't received a notice in the mail, but I was assured by the service writer and the technician that this is something that I should have done, as it includes updates to the battery ECU and I think he said the engine ECU as well. What an ECU is I haven't a clue. I was told this would take two hours in addition to the regular service. I usually wait there while my car is serviced, but opted for a ride home this time. Fortunately for me, my dealer is more responsive and reliable than the one Melgish uses.
Roger V
I keep dreaming that one day all my complaints to them (I don't just rant here) will be taken to heart and I can live happily ever after.

Just remember to stay out of the "customer parts" area... they might mistake you for a customer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
Not the battery ECU, the HV ECU. Also a connector to one of the MG position sensors is sealed from contamination better.

It is up to you to have the work done. Without it, there is a chance you could end up with an 'Engine Failed To Start" condition. The workaround is to pull over, power off, wait 25 seconds and restart, as per the recall notice. You might need to do this a few times, but ICE should eventually start.
But then, this may never happen to you. Since there is no time limit for the campaign, it may be to your advantage to wait it out, as there is a chance that MPG may go down a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
you made a wrong turn...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
50,000 and recall

Dan,
Thanks for the info. I did ask if they knew of any problems resulting from the recall fix, and they told me there had been none. I failed to ask if it would affect my gas mileage. Bummer! MPG is what it is all about! Just kidding, but will be interested to see if my average drops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,243 Posts
Re: 50,000 and recall

Roger V said:
Dan,
Thanks for the info. I did ask if they knew of any problems resulting from the recall fix, and they told me there had been none. I failed to ask if it would affect my gas mileage. Bummer! MPG is what it is all about! Just kidding, but will be interested to see if my average drops.
Roger, I had the recall work done on my 04 a couple of weeks ago and have seen no change to my MPG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
reflect your irritation with the service department on your service survey. set is huge on surveys and customer service rankings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
So sorry Florida

I read these and think I must be so fortunate to be dealing with Carlsbad Toyota. Those Florida car dealers are viscious. Can we put out a contract on them, soap their cars, barrage them with email viruses???
I pay less than $50 for oil, tire rotation and alll that 5000 mile stuff. I paid sticker for my car and drove it off the lot the same day I went to look.
Get out of there now!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
DanMan32 said:
It is up to you to have the work done. Without it, there is a chance you could end up with an 'Engine Failed To Start" condition. The workaround is to pull over, power off, wait 25 seconds and restart, as per the recall notice. You might need to do this a few times, but ICE should eventually start.
But then, this may never happen to you.
That's not entirely true.

If you need the grease and don't get it, there's a chance you could damage your ECU and the car won't restart properly at all. This is what happened to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
"..... dropped it off Friday afternoon... Service rep wrote 11:00 AM on the write-up. At 11:30 AM I called, ......."
**********************************************************
Doesn't it seem like 30 minutes is a bit quick to expect any news on a 50K mi service + P50 upgrade..?
Your work order must show what they did.. What was the $ charge..?
The CPU upgrade (P50) takes about 2 hrs presuming they got it hooked up right away. If the recall work was done..there will be a sticker somewhere under the hood with some handwritten data on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JDavies said:
Doesn't it seem like 30 minutes is a bit quick to expect any news on a 50K mi service + P50 upgrade..?
I'm guessing you didn't read the entire thread, or observe that 11:00 AM is not in the afternoon of any day at all, including Friday :)

Edits applied to clarify original post.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top