Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2006 prius with 5-year silver warranty, but my friend told me Toyota has very good quality and I don't need this extra warranty. Since I can cancel this warranty within 60 days, I need your suggestion. Thx.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
I'm assuming that you're in the US...

Silver? It must not be an extended warranty backed by Toyota, as Toyota's extended warranties are either Platinum, Gold, or
Powertrain, with Platinum being the most fully-covered and the only one I'd recommend looking at...

Even the MSRP for the Toyota Extra Care Platinum Plan at the longest interval, 7 years/100,000 miles/$0 deductible, is only $1850, much less expensive and a longer term than your $2000/5 year plan. There are several dealers you can purchase from where this plan is available for less than $1000. (If you want a shorter time or miles plan, they can also offer you that at a further reduced price.)
http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/exte ... prius.html

Remember that you have 3 years/36,000 miles to decide if you want the extended warranty. You do not have to buy it with the car. You do not have to buy it from the same dealer where you purchased the car, nor do you have to buy it from the same dealer where it'll be serviced. You have time to call around and find better pricing. You have time to see how other Prius like yours are faring, and if it is worth the peace of mind to you.

I do need to update this document with some more dealer info and about the other (sub) plans being offered, but... This is a good place to start when looking for info about the Toyota extended warranty and dealers that offer it for far less than MSRP:
http://www.vfaq.net/docs/ExtendedWarranty.html

If someone with a 2006 Prius could fill me in on the list of CA emission states, I'd be very happy!

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
My Toyota dealer told me that the only warranty he could sell me for the Prius was the platinum which can be had for less than $1,000. (check back on this site)
Car goes out of warranty in 3 yrs and will be hard to sell without the extended warranty after this period and this car is a completely new concept for Toyota and as such could fall out of the good reliability realm.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
hyperion said:
My Toyota dealer told me that the only warranty he could sell me for the Prius was the platinum.
About the time the 2006s came out last fall of 2005, that was mostly true - the only Toyota Extra Care plan for the Prius was the Platinum plan. Since then ToyotaFinancial is also offering the lower (and less useful) Gold and Powertrain warranties for the Prius. Dealers have always been able to sell 3rd party warranties...

But I have never heard of a Silver warranty from Toyota.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.