Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rita will be the tipping point of peak oil. Fill up your gas tanks Sunday evening because Monday gas prices go up to $5 and you should expect shortages in some areas.

Good luck.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I went for gas tonight. $2.699. My mom pointed out increases she saw on her drive from Wilmington NC, so I didn't wait. It'll be annoying if it goes down more before it shoots up but I don't think that'll be the case...

·
Registered
298 Posts
I paid $2.449 today and while filling up I wondered what Rita would do to the price next time I have to buy it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
$2.699 here, at a station that went up to $2.799 at the height of post-Katrina hysteria, then dropped to the present level over the course of a week. Diesel is still $3.199, and the mid and high grades just went up by 2 cents each today to $2.899 and $2.999.

This station tends to be tied for second cheapest in the Portland metro area (when I bother to check portlandgasprices.com,) plus it's only half a mile from my house, so I can EV-mode there and back no problem. (I have to use EV mode to get there, but I can make it back in 'stealth' without engaging EV no problem. It's a very slight uphill there, which on the way back is enough to hold me at exactly the 25 mph speed limit coasting once I've accelerated to 25.)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The max I ever paid was $2.91. Some stations had $2.89 posted, but they had no gas. Typically it was $3.09 for stations with gas.

Gas now can be had for as low as $2.61, though stations I would choose are about $2.65.

Buy by Sunday huh? Darn, I though I would be able to make a 700 mile tank this time. 270 mile and just dropped to 8 bars. Normally wouldn't need gas until Tuesday or Wednsday.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The station I picked last night went up by two cents this morning...

5:30PM 9/22: $2.809, up another 9 cents...

5:45PM 9/23: $2.899, up another 10 cents...

·
Registered
610 Posts
:? Dallas area Wednesday $2.799 at major stations. No shortages yet.

:?: :?: Aren't we glad we drive Prii :?: :?:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I find the gas to be quite variable in and around LA. Right outside my office, gas is $3.09 for 87 octane. In the LA harbor area where I live it's averaging around $2.89, but if you just go a little further up the hill towards Palos Verdes and Rolling Hills estates, it's well above $3.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm going to fill up on my way home tonight, the stations around the Richmond, VA area were around $2.89/gal. on my way in this morning who knows what they'll be when I leave work.....

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
ChasSuitt said:
:? Dallas area Wednesday $2.799 at major stations. No shortages yet.

:?: :?: Aren't we glad we drive Prii :?: :?:
I wouldn't call it glad... more like "less annoyed than the H2 owner" ... no matter how you slice it, $5/gal ain't my idea of a happy event.

Still, a temporary hike to that amount may end up being the catalyst that changes the way *everyone* thinks about fossil fuel.

·
Registered
224 Posts
evaunit6 said:
Not to mention another portion of the US demolished...Woo hoo!

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/21/news/ec ... tm?cnn=yes
I hardly think "woo hoo" is an appropriate thing to say for a piece of the country getting demolished. Thousands of people are faced with imminently losing their homes and most likely a large part of their lives.

We all love our Priuses, but a large portion of the country simply can't afford these nifty cars. Please have a little compassion. I'd gladly trade my Prius for a clunky gas guzzler if it meant I could save just ONE person from getting killed by the storm in the process. I'm not looking forward to another storm death toll report.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts