Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I took my Prius in for its 5,000 mile service. I figured $50 max. Oil and filter change plus rotate the tires. I near fainted when I went to pay the bill and it was $133.00. When I talked to the service writer, she said that such things as visualy checking the brake pads, adjusting the the parking brake, checking the condition of the CV boots, etc, which used to be done for free as part of a "safety check" was no longer free and that part of the standard service now costs one hour's labor in addition to the labor for the oil change and tire rotation.

Is this going on in other parts of the country?

Fred 8)

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Mark this up as a learning experience. Take in your service booklet and specifically detail what they are to do for you, then get the price for those services in writing before they do any work.

They shouldn't be charging for inspections because the car is up on the rack anyway for an oil change the greese monkey can take a look at the CV boots and other under body stuff and report back on that while he is waiting for the oil to drain out of the sump. No extra expense as far as the shop is concerned.

Costco will do a tire rotation for $10 on tires they didn't sell you, and as soon as you replace the crappy OEM tires with something better from just about any tire store including Costco, tire rotations are part of the lifetime service they offer when they sell you the tires.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Tri Me said:
Go to the doctor....You were just taken advantage of.

$43.00 for 5K. $89 for 10K
There should be no difference in price for the 5K and 10K service. The work is the same. Check your maintenance manual to see what Toyota recommends...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I called three local Toyota service centers in my area for 5,000 mile service costs. None of them would do exactly/just what the manual says. Each "did it their way", from about $75 to $135 differences. (Can't recall exactly.) Took it to a dealership in NC while visiting relatives. $29.95, for exactly what Toyota says for its 5,000 service.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Jean said:
I called three local Toyota service centers in my area for 5,000 mile service costs. None of them would do exactly/just what the manual says. Each "did it their way", from about $75 to $135 differences. (Can't recall exactly.) Took it to a dealership in NC while visiting relatives. $29.95, for exactly what Toyota says for its 5,000 service.
It's your car. You tell them what to do. They have to honor the customer's request. If they find something and want to go beyond what you have approved, they have to ask you.

·
Registered
457 Posts
5000 mile service
That's a ripoff.. What Dealer in SD..?
SD Toyota at I-8 & Mission Gorge will do it for under $40.00.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ask for Oil Change and Tire Rotation

When we questioned the high cost of our first 5K service, the Customer Relations Mgr said that they have a fixed price for 5K service for all models. He said that I should instead ask for "Oil Change and Tire Rotation." They still do the other checks and fluid fills as part of their Courtesy Service.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had exactly this issue and woke up to it at the 15K service, for which they charged about $275. I went over the service detail sheet, which was really a generic list of services for any and all Toyotas, and of course it included stuff like lubricating the rear differential. I don't know about your Prius, but mine doesn't have one. They were very contrite and gave me a $120 refund, which I still think wasn't enough, but from then on, I specified exactly what I wanted, based on the manual that comes with the car.

I suspect there's some corporate program pushing all dealerships to pad their servicing and charges simply to make more money. I now try not to let them take advantage of me that way.

Susan

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Hmmmmm, with a dealer price of $275 for regular service, I wonder if we have found one reason why CU and others came up with such a high ownership cost for hybrids in general, and the Prius in particular.

If you blindly took this quote as the true cost, you'd neglect several maintenance cost advantages of a Prius (no diff, longer lasting brakes, no tranny fluid change for 100K, etc). It is possible they went to dealers (anonymously) and got such quotes without realizing most of the work simple does not have to be done to a Prius.

·
Registered
209 Posts
jeff_h wrote:
Did you tell them that you didn't have a rear differential? If so, how much did they charge to add one? :p

The nice man offered to add it at discounted price, but I've never been comfortable with those after-market gadgets.

Shockingly, it wasn't part of the BC package. Perhaps the 07s will have that option. And the switch-on-the-fly 4WD toggle. :lol:

Susan
35050 miles!
Closer to end of warranty!
Do I get the extended warranty or not?????? :?

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Hill Co Prius said:
My regular service jobs are free for the first 36,000 miles or three years at North Park Toyota in Boerne, Texas.
Is this a perk from purchasing there?

Or do you have a 2001-2003 US Prius, that came from Toyota with the first 3 years of free service?

Or did you buy a Prepaid maintenance plan and didn't realize it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.