Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 Prius with 107,000 miles started surging and generally feeling like the CVT was having a hard time deciding where to be. had to tow the car to Toyota.
After three days of them calling everywhere as they have never been able to diagnose the car, they announced it needs a $3700 battery which doesn't exist in this country.

Starting to feel like a fool for investing in this technology. Any ideas? I can't imagine a battery on the space shuttle costing $4K let a lone a car!

G

·
Best thing to do is to contact this low life piece of white trash who goes by the name of fish_antlers. He can tow you to the junkyard and get a brand new traction battery for under $300. Make sure you bring two big brutes with you. This guy co-starred in the movie Deliverance. He is one ugly MOFU.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If indeed the traction battery is weak, you can probably get one for a decent price in salvage. It is a bit unusual for it to go this soon. There is a thread around here somewhere where we helped a young woman find a replacement battery for her boyfriend's classic that had close to 250K on the ODO.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Were any codes pulled from your Prius?

At what speeds were you noticing the surging?

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 006-01.pdf
US TSB EG006-01
May 4, 2001, HV ECU High Speed Coordination Control Logic Changes (engine surging, replace HV ECU), 2001 Prius

Unfortunately, I think that the thread where we helped that person get a replacement hybrid battery got lost in the database crash a few months ago. But here are the basics:
1. Make sure that your dealer gives you the $200 bounty for recycling the old hybrid battery.
page 11 (of the printed version):
http://techinfo.toyota.com/public/main/1stprius.pdf
Is there a recycling plan in place for nickel-metal hydride batteries?
http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_libra ... d=20040623
2. Used battery packs are often available for <US$1000 on eBay, or through scrapyards/junkyards/salvage yards.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Mark Prius said:
<censored>
Are you on some kind of medication with mood-altering side effects? Cut the guy some slack, he just joined the board today and aparently has a legitimate concern. I don't know what your beef with fish is, and really, I don't care. But please...take a moment and reflect on your last few posts. You're stepping over the line, and not winning anyone to your side.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I think the index the search uses is screwed up. Doing a search for boyfriend only shows a handful of files, all of them within 2005.

G

·
Let's see... someone with a 2001 Prius with 107,000 miles ONLY signs up today to voice a complaint. Yeah..... right!!!!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Not everyone who buys a Prius registers onto PriusOnline as soon as they buy it. As a matter of fact, many read PriusOnline but don't register or post.

You yourself don't have a whole lot of posts, considering that you registered in May of 2004, so who are you to judge?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Mark Prius said:
You MUST be either gullible or stupid! Can't you tell a troll when you see it???
Gullible enough to believe that you might be reasoned with.

Stupid enough to try.

Yes. I CAN see a troll...

But I won't bother you further.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This car is in the hands of TOYOTA in central Florida

Yes we have looked here before when deciding whether or not to buy this car used with 40K miles.
At $4000 we are needing to decide whether to sell for scrap or risk investing $4K more in a car that could cost big bucks again when another computer fails or an accelerator pedal fails.
It's been nice getting great mileage, but the reality is setting in that we haven't saved ANY money in the long run. We are at the mercy of Toyota and they are not exactly forthcoming. Great car when in warranty, but it's scary when it expires!

Thanks for the salvage tip, had not considered that. What the hell is a troll anyway? Some of you need to lighten up.l

G

·
We'll see if they guy returns. I seriously doubt it. If someone was so concerned, they would be checking back. You folks are WAY too trusting to say the least. The board has been bombarded with phantom attacks from the fish guy and you're not the least bit concerned? Where are subsequent posts from the kid that doesn't want to drive his Prius? I guess he wasn't in school yesterday as evidenced by the frequent posts. I guess Rush was correct. Prius owners are a bunch of dumb liberals!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello walkinghat and Mark Prius,

I am a recent new poster. I just purchased a used 2001 last month. It had 115,000 miles as it rolled off of the Toyota dealer's lot that I purchased it from.

I too had concerns about the life expectancy of this car. Also had concerns about replacing the main traction battery and the internal combustion engine. But for my HOV lane commuting needs and desires it was practical to purchace a Toyota Certified 2001 Prius for $9,500, that I plan to run into the ground, rather than buying a new model for $26,000+.

What I learned is that NO Prius since the original 1997 introduction have needed a new traction battery replacement just because they are worn out. Except for rebuilt salvage title cars that had been in an accident, or some vehicle fires.

And, I called some salvage yards and visited Ebay. You can get a replacement battery from a salvaged low mileage car for under $400. Also ALL the other parts are available from wrecked and salvaged cars at very reasonable prices, including the ICE, the Inverter, the "power interconnect/er..transmission", A/C, regenerative brake system, anything. So, essentially, you can keep a Prius running as long as you want, until the bodywork and/or frame completely disintegrates through rust.

The "tricky" part is performing the work, or having it done. If you live in or near a big metro area, you can find independent mechanics capable of working on your Prius, (especially if you own a Service Manual for reference).

If you don't live in a big city and you're not mechanically inclined, then you are at the mercy of your local friendly Toyota service department. When you speak with the service writer, they will almost always be willing to install parts that you furnish, as long as it's not a warranty issue, and you are willing to pay their "Toyota Certified" labor rates.

If you are not into keeping "older" cars running, (a four year old Prius), then perhaps it is time to sell it. But, you will get more for a running Prius, than a scrapped unit.

·
Registered
515 Posts
This certainly sounds like a misdiagnosis (or a troll). If the battery actually was failing, you'd have symptoms much like the "turtle" mode... since the system normally doesn't depend on the battery-pack anyway.

And the likelyhood of one failing at only 107,000 miles under normal driving conditions doesn't even make sense. There would have to be some type of unusual operation involved, like having continued driving after running out of gas several times. That type of abuse would indeed accelerate aging.

We've had a number of reports now of people exceeding 100,000 miles without any trouble. And we have one owner (Jesse, who has a webpage on my site) that will break the North American record shortly; his odometer said 203,400 miles last week.

We definitely need more information. With so few facts, the best you can hope for is generalized speculation.

·
Registered
582 Posts
broken prius

walkinghat, where are you? I'd like to know that you had a second opinion on the fault. The technical service bulletin that MRV cited does not generate a diagnostic trouble code (DTC). Any high voltage battery problem (known to me) will generate a DTC. There are also other TSBs to think about, including one that requires replacement of the accelerator pedal.

I am not confident that you have been correctly diagnosed. Insist on knowing the DTCs.

If you are certain that you need a replacement high voltage battery, and you cannot find them in the sources mentioned previously, consider Foster Auto in Portland OR. I am not personally reccomending these guys, but I know that they had 5 battery packs - not moving fast because thay wanted $1k each. That price may have softened.

Good luck

DAS

G

·
If the guy was for real, he should post his VIN number to authenticate himself as genuine. I still am waiting for the troll to return. If someone has a problem and asks for help, they'd be quick to return to get answers. This is NOT the case. Granted all I've said is circumstantial, however, I agree with John. The post is MORE than likely from our wonderful friend fishy. Ya know... the guy you've all grown to embrace with open arms.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Toyota comments

Just spoke with the technician. He had no error codes to supply, he said that I had a weak cell #9 which caused the battery control to constantly try to charge the battery which caused the sensation of the engine surging while driving.

They claim the battery is $3600 + and Toyota is willing to split the difference. That they made the offer is admission that it should have never failed in the first place.

He was insistent that a salvage battery will not work if it is in a discharged state. It will never recharge.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
This is just my opinion, but if I bought a used car with over 100,000 miles on it I would expect that I paid hardly anything for it and that any major component could go at any time. You never know how well people take care of their cars and a lot of abuse can occur in 100,000 miles. The last car that I had anywhere near that amount of miles on was a 1978 Ford Mustang II. I got rid of it (meaning it died and was junked by the dealer I traded it into) in 1985 with about 85,000 miles on it. Of course I only added oil to it (never changed it) for the last 50,000 miles of its life. Now if you owned it new and took really good care of it for that amount of miles, then I would have different expectations.

BTW, I do take better care of my cars now and follow all scheduled maintenance requirements.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If the guy was for real, he should post his VIN number to authenticate himself as genuine. I still am waiting for the troll to return. If someone has a problem and asks for help, they'd be quick to return to get answers. This is NOT the case. Granted all I've said is circumstantial, however, I agree with John. The post is MORE than likely from our wonderful friend fishy. Ya know... the guy you've all grown to embrace with open arms.
Mark, your paranoid. The poster is returning to get answers (and provide updates) and even if this is not a true post, the topic is interesting and the responses to it have been informative.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts