Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the wake of rising gas costs, I decided to do the unthinkable and (gasp) drive a little SLOWER during my 12 mile commute to work, I kept the cruise at 60 instead of 65-70 like I usually do. And yes, I had a number of cars still zipping past at 70 or even 80 mph.

The result?

Instead of getting between 46-48 mpg the way I usually do the first 30 miles after a new tank, the mpg indicator went all the way up to 53!!

Oh, and how much later for work did it make me?

A whole 22 seconds.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I went from averaging around 47 to just under 50 mpg just by slowing down to 65. It works!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I do a lot of highway driving and I try to maintain 62 MPH. I'm getting 58 MPG with no A/C.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Here in Portland, most of our freeways are 55mph, with a couple 60 and 65s (and one that has 50.) Yet, of course, most people speed. I just tool along in the right lane at the speed limit. Over the past couple days, I have noticed MORE people willing to go the speed limit, though. Usually, I'm the slowest one on the highway, even being passed by semis. Yesterday, I had cars apparently happily following me for miles. (i.e. following, not tailgating, not passing.)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yup. I found a truck on the interstate, doing 60, and I sat behind it for 15 miles on the way home. Very happy Little Prius!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I get passed by everything on four wheels when I set the cruise control on the speed limit but I just look at my consumption and mileage and both Phoebe and I are happy chugging along at the legal limit. And, an added bonus is that we don't have to break into a cold sweat when we see a police car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
rain effects

I have noticed the same improvement when using speed limits. I rarely go over, anyway, but what I have noticed (with blue moon Pearl '02) that there is noticable decline in MPG in rain and wet roads. I have been on the same roads for coming on 3 years now, I have noticed the difference. Anyone else?
BTW, this summer traveling back roads on Cape Cod at the posted speeds of 20-35 with some 50MPH, I got 61.5 MPG. Won't try this on the highway unless gas gets up to $10.00/gal! :lol:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I've decided to limit my speed to 55MPH, even if the speedlimit is posted higher. But I am not often on such roads these days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I've decided to limit my speed to 55MPH, even if the speedlimit is posted higher. But I am not often on such roads these days.
I assume/hope that you're staying in the right lane too :). I've been seeing a lot of drivers as of late sit at ths speed limit in the left lane, is very dangerous. I've also been trying to get my father-in-law to move over when he does this as well.

*sigh*

·
Registered
393 Posts
I read once, that if you drive at 35 MPH, in fifth gear, you would get over 60 MPG.

Now, I never did that. And never on a highway. But I have, as of late, driven around 35 MPG in my PRIUS on the local roads, and have seen a sharp rise in my mileage...

Here is a picture of a recent trip. It is not photo shopped.

Attachments

G

·
I've been cutting back on my speed too. I now go 60 in the right lane and I am getting over 50MPG. Happier than a pig in s**t.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Now that I get to use the carpool lane, I go 80 and get really low 40's. :roll:

·
Registered
20 Posts
How big of a difference does the AC make? I've been tempted to turn it off, I raised the temp to 78 instead. Is it similar to the house AC? If you back it off 3-5 degrees will it use less energy?

I'm doing the same with the speed - seen trucks/SUVs fly by me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've altered my route to work and back to eliminate expressway driving. I have a twenty five mile commute each way and never go over 45 MPH. I'm now working on my fourth 60+ MPG tank. An unintended side benefit has been by leaving a little earlier and driving slower I'm much more relaxed when I get to work. At that time of day folks who want to have no problem getting around me.

I expect it to improve a little more when the average afternoon temps drop below the eighties. Since I park in the hangar though my A/C doesn't usually have to work too hard. I'm curious to see what happens when it gets cold. The snow will probably force me back onto the expressways.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I plan to. The problem I have had driving at the speed limit has been that I find some that drive slower on the right, or are slowing down to make a turn, or just came into the lane but have not given themselves enough distance to get to speed without forcing me to break mine.
So, I shif to the next lane. But then I get stuck there, as people decide to pass on the right. If I switch back to the right, I slow them down.

But if I chose 55 on a 60, 65 or 70 MPH highway, I probably will do fine on the right without hitting a slowpoke, as I will probably be the slowpoke.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Consumer Reports Oct 2005 issue, just out, has an excellent article and an editorial "The Truth About Fuel Economy", discussing EPA figures vs. real experience and the best & worst cars for mpg. Worth reading. 8)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I drove 55 mph on the freeway last Thursday when all the gas stations were closed or out of gas, and ended the trip at about 58+ MPG.

The other drivers all seemed to be either off the road, or happy to drive slower too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i don't think the ac makes a whole lot of difference. in fact, those guys who 'race' the prius use the AC instead of lowering the windows.

Lowering the windows will cause drag and cause the MPG to decline more than using the AC. ALso, on 05 models, the AC opperates using the battery, not the gas.

This is why you can run the ac with the car off and not get swamp-air...

·
Registered
44 Posts
idealflaw said:
on 05 models, the AC opperates using the battery, not the gas.

This is why you can run the ac with the car off and not get swamp-air...
True, but eventually the battery will need to be replenished which requires the gas motor thus lowering MPG.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts