Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had my Prius since February of 05. I now have been hit 3 time in the parking lot. The first time was the left rear door ding, #2 was $1587 to replace the rear bumper and no one heard or saw a thing and #3 was the right rear door ding. :evil: I would like to correct that flaw with the alarm and put in a real nice alarm with proximity alert. What would you recommend for a 3rd part burglar alarm??

Oh and really don't want to loose the keyless feature.

I am looking forward to hear your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
kellyr05 said:
I am looking forward to hear your suggestions.
A different paking lot. Dont mean to be flip with your situation. I am really unhappy :cry: about your bad luck. But would a different parking arrangement, even at some additional expense, in a more secure facility work for you. ?

Someone who does to a car what you experienced is not likely to be deterred by an alarm...and would be long gone before you could respond. Perhaps the money for an elaborate alarm would cover additional parking fees at a more "safe" facility.
Good luck.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm very careful where I park in lots with my new car. Later I may get lazy. Right now I park farther away, near newer cars (who tend to be more aware), and never in a tight spot. I wish you better luck.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
You need to stop parking your Prius in the front row at that GM plant... you know what happens.
j/k ;-)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Put spike strips down around your Prius in a 6 foot radius from the car. If you get a new ding/dent, look for the culprit with flat tires. Just don't forget to pick them up before you drive out of your parking space.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Seriously, depending what package you have, you may already have the alarm activated. No matter what package you have, you already have the alarm hardware/software, but depending on package, it may be turned off.

If you want to add sensors, you can probably have them trigger the hood 'courtesy' (pin) switch.

Now, to add alarm when it didn't come with a package, Toyota wants you to purchase the VIP alarm with Glass Breakage sensor. What you are paying for is the GBS, and extra instructions besides the GBS install for the dealer on how to enable the alarm that was there all along.
It has been found that if GBS is not installed, the dealer can (but may not be willing) activate the alarm using their diagnostic scan tool. If they install the GBS, there is a yellow wire they have to disconnect.

If you install the GBS, you could possibly use its trigger input to the body ECU as the input for other sensors as well.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Seriously, depending what package you have, you may already have the alarm activated.
Dan, if I undersand the original request correctly, Kellyr05 is looking for a proximity alarm which would sound if someone/vehicle came within x feet of the Prius. None of the Toyota alarms do that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts