Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whomever:
My Toyota service department can't explain the purpose of the 37° warning. It doesn't get down to that temperature very often on the Suncoast, but; What happens if I want to drive norther than Jacksonville between November and April? Consensus is it must have something to do with main battery effeciency. Close?
Tnx. Holahan in Sarasota.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
It is to warn you that you may experience black ice on the road under certain conditions.
If you drive north, like in the Carolinas, you will notice signs before overpasses and bridges indicating that they may freeze before the main road does.

So, the snowflake warns you that it is cold enough for ice. It also tells you that you might want a jacket if you leave the car.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Most vehicles manufactured today have some sort of a potential unsafe (temp wise) road driving condition warning. Nothing to do with anything else.
Toyota chose to put their's up on the idiot light warning spot. If you don't like it on at all times and especially at night where it might cause you to overlook an important warning you'll have to cover the spot with a small piece of electrical tape.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
"If you don't like it on at all times and especially at night where it might cause you to overlook an important warning you'll have to cover the spot with a small piece of electrical tape" or any other opaque adhedsive covering you might choose.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Yes, the yellow snowflake is back for us up north. Just like the leaves changing color and falling, we Prius owners have another indication of the onset of fall and cooler weather; the yellow snowflake.

Now, if only the engineers at Toyota had thought through what yellow snow means in the western hemisphere...

·
Registered
344 Posts
DanMan32 said:
It is to warn you that you may experience black ice on the road under certain conditions.
If you drive north, like in the Carolinas, you will notice signs before overpasses and bridges indicating that they may freeze before the main road does.

So, the snowflake warns you that it is cold enough for ice. It also tells you that you might want a jacket if you leave the car.
NORTH like in the CAROLINAS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DanMan, that cracked me up! (sorry, this is far south to me...)

So do those "bridges freeze before roads" signs they put up down here.

Whew! I gotta take a couple deep breaths now :lol:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yellow snow - flake

It came on a couple weeks ago, here in So. Alabama. Took me a while to figure out what it was. Made an assumption it was an icy highway alert based on the frosty lawns. When I got home, I looked it up - yep, that's it.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
It really is the ultimate idiot light. It is there to tell you it's cold outside. What? No dark sensor? An arrow to tell you wich way is up? I get cranky when that light will be on for the entire next week. :x

·
Registered
9 Posts
Temp Light

I love it. The outside temp light comes on at 37 degrees to warn me about slippery roads. I live in Wisconsin. I can't wait until it hits 20 below zero. Will the car tell me Holy Crap it's cold out you sure you want to leave the house!!!!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Honestly, couldn't they have it turn off at -5°C? Seems logical since it's only there to tell you the possibility of black ice.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: Temp Light

4AAincl said:
I live in Wisconsin. I can't wait until it hits 20 below zero. Will the car tell me Holy Crap it's cold out you sure you want to leave the house!!!!
:lol: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :D

No, but how about it knowing you are going to leave in 30 minutes so it warms itself up!!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
37 degree temp

Living in Wisconsin I will now see this nasty little light for about 5 months!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Time for the snow tires.

That light plus wet ground mean it's time for the snow tires.
We will see how the Blizzak Revo's perform.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts

SgtKarl said:
4AAincl said:
I live in Wisconsin. I can't wait until it hits 20 below zero. Will the car tell me Holy Crap it's cold out you sure you want to leave the house!!!!
:lol: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :D

No, but how about it knowing you are going to leave in 30 minutes so it warms itself up!!!!!!
Sounds like those predicting elevators in the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy (not sure which book)

·
Registered
8 Posts

4AAincl said:
I love it. The outside temp light comes on at 37 degrees to warn me about slippery roads. I live in Wisconsin. I can't wait until it hits 20 below zero. Will the car tell me Holy Crap it's cold out you sure you want to leave the house!!!!
20 Below!!! What part of Wisconsin are you from? I live down in the Milwaukee area.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts