Toyota Prius Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm bumping this because my new house has a long driveway to back out of, so I looked up the "reverse beep" disable. It's great to know where to find this kind of info! I never minded the beep when I had a short distance to back... it does get wearing after a bit!

I have an '05, but is the original post relevant to the '06 models? I know the Nav "I agree" defeat went away with the newer version of software, does everything else work?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The plastic rings on the wheels were installed because engineers found that the wheels wobbled somewhat during testing. I wouldn't recommend taking those off.

·
Registered
393 Posts
SoylentGreen said:
The plastic rings on the wheels were installed because engineers found that the wheels wobbled somewhat during testing. I wouldn't recommend taking those off.
Yeah, right.

:roll:

Took mine off, drove to VA and back from Florida...nothing. No wobbles, no worries. They were off my car until I put on the Status rims. So about 16,000 miles total.

From what I have heard, those plastic rings are there to protect the alloy rims, when in transport.

Nothing more, nothing less. Take them off. Leave them off. Use them in a game of ring toss.

·
Registered
126 Posts
List of 34 Wonderful Things

What a wonderful compilation of very useful and hard to find stuff, Allen! Thanks a whole lot for going to all the trouble to find it all out and to write it all up.

By the way, the magnetic drain plug will only collect metallic contaminants in suspension in the oil if they are, obviously, magnetic, so that limits them to:

Iron

Nickel

Cobalt

as these, except for some ceramics, are the only magnetic elements. My own oil analysis at 1084 miles showed only 6 ppm Iron, 0 ppm Nickel, and, of course, Cobalt was not included in the analysis, as it is a radioactive element, and, one would hope, is not present in the Toyota manufacturing process.

So, since I'm using a synthetic oil, which will eliminate almost all abrasion for all practical purposes, I don't believe I'll install a magnetic oil plug into this particular engine, although I do think it's usually a good idea.

·
Registered
582 Posts
oil analysis; 34 things

Hi Jim, would you post your entire oil analysis please? On initial oil changes, we have seen elevated copper and silicon, compared to later oil analyses. All such data are very much appreciated.

Aside from that, may I say that some isotopes of cobalt are radioactive but others are not. AFAIK cobalt is not normally analyzed in engine oils.

DAS

·
Registered
591 Posts
It's likely cobalt is used in the MGs magnets (permanent magnet motor generators). The most common permanent magnet is AlNiCo, with variants adding rare earth elements. Most cobalt you find in nature is not radioactive - unless it's a byproduct of radioactive decay of a heavier radioactive element.

Until we have a nuclear war. Then radioactive cobalt will be common. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Seatbelt chime

My wife and I are proud owners of a new 2006 Prius, barcelona red metallic, Pkg #7 + dealer leather. In other words, loaded.

I am grateful for your many tips. I have successfully quieted the reverse beeper, yet, the next instructions to silence the seatbelt did not work.

Is there another way to quiet the seatbelt beeper?[/list][/i]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well the caution beep when you open the entrance with the key or fob or whatever it's known as still in position has avoided me from making it in the car several periods already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rear wiper replacement question....

Im guessing since this was written in 2005 you meant that you can replace your prius rear wiper blade with one meant for a "2005" Mitsubishi Outlander wiper blade, but my research show that the rear wiper blade of the Outlander is smaller than the rear wiper blade of the pruis. So should it be the driver or passenger side blade from the outlander?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hints for prius drivers and others.

If you live in the country you will find that mice love to chew on wires in you car. I have spent a small fortune fixing these problems until I found the answer. Use a Large spray bottle fill with water to near full Leave space in the neck for next two steps. add a 1/4 tsp of dish soap, and a table spoon of Peppermint oil. You can get the peppermint oil from Amazon. shake and spray all over the engine compartment, or any other places mice may enter you car/truck (yes this works on all vehicles.)
Second this I wish to mention is winter driving. Make sure your tire pressure is up to standards. Check them cold add 2 pounds for temperature changes. You may find in cold winter days your fuel consumption is lower than on warm days. the reason for this is winter air (cold to frigid air) is thicker that the warm/hot summer air. Pushing a car through this air will consume more fuel. If you don't think air temp affects the travel of an object through the air ask any sniper.
Happy Motoring

41 - 55 of 55 Posts