Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is what my dealer wants to do for my 30K check
Replace engine air filter, Replace engine coolant, Replace engine oil and oil filter, Replace inverter coolant, Rotate tires.

Inspect: Ball joints and dust covers, Brake lines and hoses, Brake linings/drums and pads/discs, Differential oil, fuel lines and connections, fuel tank banc and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses, Drive shaft boots, Exhaust pipes and mountings, fuel tank cap gasket, Steering gear box, Steering linkage and boots, Transmission fluid.
by the way the price on this is call for price which tend to think it is very expensive.

The suggested is rotate the tires and change the engine oil which should I go with, I have had no big problems with the car

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dealers are notorious for trying to sell you their maintenance package instead of what Toyota specifies. I would have them do only what your factory maintenance schedule recommends. You might need to show that to them as a reminder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know about all of those items, but I do recall my local dealership saying that the inverter coolant only needed replacing every 100K miles.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
engine and inverter coolant replacement are definately not necessary or indicated at 30k. Some have replaced the ICE coolant at 60k and found it quite dirty and felt it may be beneficial even though it's not recommended by Toyota until 100k.

Take your "Passport to maintenance" out and point to the 30k page and tell the dealer to do that and only that....fix a price before hand.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Of course most of the stuff they suggested on checking is recommended under Toyotas regular maintenance schedule under driving in "harsh" conditions like the backroads of Oklahoma and Arizona.
Of course these recommended checks are on the standard "Jiffy Lube" checklist. I don't know if they are performed or not but I would guess "not" on the standard Toyota "lube," since they are mentioned separately.

·
Registered
26 Posts
firepa63 said:
efusco said:
Also, tell them to check the differential fluid and transmission fluid...if they can find it.
...as well as the Blinker Fluid and the Fan Belt Buckles.[/q]

Hate to burst your bubble, but there's no such things... sorry.

A friend of mine told me that some insipid moron posts this stupid "blinker fluid" phrase a hundred times a day in their internal database on fixing cars at work and it pisses everyone off because the joke got old and the only person who carries it on any longer is that guy. Do you know that guy too? Where do you work?

·
Registered
201 Posts
What used to be even more fun was calling the local auto parts store and asking them how much a water pump was for a 72 Beetle or spark plugs for a 1980 Oldsmobile Diesel.....

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Old joke or not every time we've taken my wife's Highlander Hybrid 4WDi to the Jiffy Lube we get asked something or told something that clearly displays the lack of understanding of the HSD.

First time they told us that they checked the serpentine belt...Really...That's interesting since we don't have one.

Last time my wife called and asked if we needed the rear differential checked. I said "Sure...if they can find it". Turns out they pointed at something and told my wife it does have one... :roll:

At lease it'll be interesting next visit!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
My dealer tried to tell me that I forgot to get the coolants changed at 30K.

If I was in the mood, I should have went with this dialog:

Me: Isn't it true that Toyota uses Super Long Life Coolant on all their vehicles since MY 2004 (except one model)?
His answer should be: Yes
Me: And isn't it true that SLLC is good for 100K miles?
Again, his answer should be: Yes
Me: Then why are you trying to rip me off by having them changed at 30K?

If they answer no to either of the first two questions, bring out Toyota's documentation supporting the correct answer.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'd be delighted if someone gave me a 30K check. :D

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I just did. The left one was fine, but the right one was a pint low. I make mostly right turns, so my flashers use it up more on that side. :D That stuff is EXsPENSIVE ! :shock:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well i got the oil changed and the tires rotated but talk about a upset service advisor. They thought they were going to do thier 30 K check and get me for several hundred dollars. ended up with 30 min oil change I supplied the oil and I don't think anything else was done as i don't see how you can check every thing and rotate the tires in less the 30 min. but the waiting room had good cookies :lol:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
How much did they charge? I usually get their "Express Lube Plus", which includes oil change, tire rotation, topping off fluids, and multi-point safety inspection. I think it usually costs $69.00 + tax.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.