Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I signed up for my black #7 on February 12th of this year and took delivery on July 24th. Everything has been great and I love the car. Due to the fact that Toyota raised the MSRP by $300 after I had joined the waiting list, it has been my understanding that I would be receiving a $300 check from Toyota directly (my info sources are posts on this board and my Toyota dealer).
Since it has now been about 5 weeks since I took delivery and I haven't seen a check, I'm wondering if anyone knows when I should start getting concerned? How many (if any) of you who are due a check have gotten yours? It also concerns me a bit that I never got the keychain that so many have commented on... perhaps this means that my dealership didn't properly report my status on the waiting list to Toyota and therefore they don't know when I was on the list and may not know to send me a check (I don't really care about the keychain).

Thanks, John

·
Registered
508 Posts
I joined a dealer waiting list in April, and got my car in June. What exactly are the conditions for who's entitled to a rebate and who isn't?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that you had to have signed up for the waiting list prior to the MSRP change on March 15th.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got my car in mid june and just got the rebate check last week. If you were signed up early enough, Toyota corporate knew about you. I got letters saying they were building as fast as they could, keychains, and a letter saying that I would get a rebate which I did.
Pauline

·
Registered
5 Posts
mail in coupon

I didn't get my check yet either. I got on the list on January 25th and received my Prius on July 1st. However, I did recently get a $700 rebate check for a 2005. I almost threw it away, but when I reread it it said: This coupon replaces the default $300 check that is sent to you. You have to send it in to Toyota with a copy of your sales agreement to get them to send you the $300 check within 6 - 8 weeks.

Esther

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ek... I don't get it. They sent you a $700 coupon and then you have to return it to get a $300 check? What kind of sense does that make?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The coupon can be used for 3 purposes:
1. To get $700 toward the purchase/lease of a 2005 model year Prius
2. To get $300 toward the purchase/lease of a 2004 model year Prius
3. To get $700 toward the purchase/lease of any other new 2004/2005 Toyota vehicle.

If like me you have already taken delivery of the 2004 Prius, you can send the coupon in.

Esther

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I get it. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I'll give it another month or so and then start making inquiries.

·
Registered
623 Posts
You only get the coupon if you were in Toyota's database before the first price increase. And you were only on that list if your dealer sent your name in. Not all did so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone else who is entitled to the $700 rebate/certificate not received it yet? I ordered March 8, got the keychain and the other Toyota letters. Called Toyota a few days ago, person I spoke to said they are not sent out all at once, but in "waves". Maybe my letter was sent by boat?? :?

Ray

·
Registered
95 Posts
I took delivery of my Prius on like June 10 after having signed up for it last November. About 8 weeks later, I still hadn't gotten the $300 rebate check so I called Toyota. They looked into it and told me the following:

(1) The rebate checks are handled by some other company that they have outsourced this to.

(2) In my case, they said they had a slightly different address for me in two different databases...one with my apartment number and one without. Even though that ought not be a problem (there are only 4 apartments in the place I live so the apt. number is optional), they thought this was likely enough to prevent the company from sending out the check. [I have since been told by others that the sort of companies that handle these sort of rebates, along with mail-in rebates and the like, do everything possible to avoid paying them so that they can pocket the money.]

(3) Toyota concluded that I am eligible for the rebate and so they will resubmit it or whatever but they said it would likely take another 6-8 weeks for my to get it. (It has now been about 4, I think.)

The moral of the story is to know what you are entitled to and be persistent. If Toyota built cars the way they handled this rebate stuff, we wouldn't be on this messageboard extolling the virtues of our Priuses!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you signed up for your Prius prior to the MSRP increase and you haven't gotten your rebate check yet I'd seriously suggest that you call Toyota (1-800-GO-TOYOTa) and make sure that you are entered in their database. Do this even if you haven't yet taken delivery of your car. I just got sick of waiting for my check and called and guess what?... I'm not in the database. Thanks Alexandria Toyota. :x

Toyota corporate has opened a case and this will hopefully be resolved soon but the lesson is don't just count on the fact that your dealer entered your name properly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just got my rebate today. The car was ordered in January and I took delivery in August. Toyata had sent me a letter stating that I would get a rebate after I took delivery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Iordered my Silver Prius #9 on December 11th, it arrived and I took delivery of the car on August 26 and the Check for $300 came today Sept 25. Just under 1 month. Love this car!!! It was worth the wait

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Ordered my Prius on Jan 7th
Took Delivery on August 12th.
Received Rebate on September 27th.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As it turns out, Toyota didn't ever get my name from the dealership thus they have no way of verifying if I had signed up prior to the deadline. As a result I won't get a check from them... Thankfully, later I got a call from the dealer apologizing and saying that they would send me a check for the full refund themselves.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Saruman said:
I have received TWO checks for $300 each. Hoping for more.
You have two cars?

I am getting a $700 rebate for my 2005, I got on list before March cutoff date. I then got a 2005 and that gets you back the $400 increase as well. Dealer told me at purchase time to get it from Toyota but the letter said use it at purchase time or get it from Toyota. I think dealer was unwilling to do it because of extra paperwork, no big deal, Toyota on phone acknowledged it was valid.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Daniel said:
You only get the coupon if you were in Toyota's database before the first price increase. And you were only on that list if your dealer sent your name in. Not all did so.
Yes, that is what happened to us but it is straightened out now as we have the check we wrote in Feb, :lol:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And to tie up my loose end, I got my $300 check yesterday directly from the dealer, Alexandria Toyota. I'm not thrilled that they messed up in the 1st place by not sending my info in properly to Toyota but I have to give them credit for doing the right thing without hesitation once they figured out what happened.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts