Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My 2004 now has 30,000 miles. I took it to the dealer where I get my oil changed and when I said it has 30,000 miles the service rep quoted me a price of about $340 for a long list of things. I had checked the Scheduled Maintenance Guide before I went there and other than changing the engine and cabin air filters, it did not list anything else to change. The SM Guide does list a number of things to inspect.

The service rep pointed to his computer and told me this is what Toyota recommends, but these guys also still suggest changing the oil every 3000 miles, so I am wary of them.

I already changed the engine oil filter at 25,000 miles, and I will change the wiper blades (saw John1701's document) and the cabin air filter myself.

What else really must be done, and is over $300 a reasonable cost?

I want to take good care of my Prius, but I do not want to be ripped off.

Thanks for your advice.

Maurice Frank

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I get done what the manual says. :wink:

·
Registered
344 Posts
do only what the manual says. do not accept the long list of what the dealer says needs to be done as many of those things won't even apply to the Prius so the dealer gets money for doing nothing.

don't use the phrase "30,000 mile service" when you go there. tell them you need an oil change, tire rotation, change of cabin and engine air filters and that list of things that need to be inspected. heck, just write it all down, give it to the service advisor and tell him your list is what you want done, no more and no less.

most places will oblige out of good business practice. most states allow a certain amount of work (a certain dollar amount, say $80) extra to be performed without calling the customer. but most places will not do work without telling you as they'll probably lose you as a customer. so that may be the best way to go.

it shouldn't cost you nearly that much money...

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
The lingo you use with the service writer is very important. Since Toyota and other dealers use these rather arbatrary large mileage numbers to justify unnecessary vehicle services you have to detail what you want done to your car rather than just quote the mileage you are at and say "have your way with her". That isn't smart with any vehicle, not just the Prius.

Oh, I remember the days when you changed the oil at a regular interval, just like we do today, however we now do services at other mileages regardless of the logic or actual wear.

Be wary of that dealer.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
8)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for replies

Folks,

Thanks for your advice. I changed the cabin air filter myself, and I also changed the front wiper blades myself. I use the rear wiper much less so it can go a little longer. The engine air filter was changed at 25K.

I do keep records of everything done to my car.

I did not know the extended warranty covers regular maintenance at no charge. I've been thinking of getting that so this is another reason to do so.

Thanks,

Maurice

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Re: Thanks for replies

8)

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's what my dealer charged for the 30,000 service. Plus I had the MFD fixed at the same time that was done under the warranty.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Bear, I really doubt you are getting the services listed in the 5K, 10K, 30K the dealers have with your prepaid plan. Most likely they do only what the passport requires, which is not very much.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
8)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Yes, the pre-paid maintenance plan does come with Toyota Roadside Assistance for the length of the pre-paid maintenance plan.
http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/prep ... e/index.ht

However, ALL Prius sold in the US already come with the Toyota Roadside Assistance plan (which includes tire/wheel road hazard insurance) for 3 years/36,000 miles.

So, for the first 3 years/36,000 miles of your pre-paid maintenance plan, you have paid twice for the exact same Toyota Roadside Assistance.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I also have AAA+ !! which means I probably pay THREE times for road service :x But I like the other services I get from AAA. Travel, maps, books, hotel discounts, DMV services.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just wanted to mention that I got my "30k service" performed. After calling around and getting prices from $375 to $450 for the service, I asked these dealers what they do. They mentioned changing the plugs (they don't need to be changed till 100k), the radiator fluid (ditto), the transmission fluid (the Prius doesn't have a transmission per say . . .). Needless to say I refused.

Per DanMan's recommendation, I took it in for service and asked for an oil change and tire rotation, and a visual inspecion of the brakes. I then went to the parts counter and bought the Air filter, the cabin filter, and new wiper blades, and a bottle of wax, all for $84. The tires didn't need rotation (they are pretty new). THey did try to keep selling me stuff, like fuel injector cleaner service and a tire alignment (if it ain't broke, leave it alone), which I politely refused.

Total price of my 30k mile service: $108, including the wax. Keep in mind, I did everything called for in the service manual.

I hope my experience helps others in not getting ripped off by the dealer for unnecessary services. And thanks, DanMan!

Luis

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, it does have a transmission (transaxle really, which includes the differential), it's just not designed the same as a typical automatic. More like a manual transmission that uses automatic transmission fluid, and no gear shifting.

Considering what some have found and discussed on a different thread, it might not be a bad idea to change the tranny fluid at say 60K, even if Toyota doesn't specify a required change. It does specify to check the fluid thought. I'm considering changing it, but I doubt I will have the dealer do it. Either I will do it myself, or have a reliable shop do it. I might have to quell the fears an independent might have though.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Dan, Mobil 1 synthetic auto fluid? I'm getting ready to put that in my Pathfinder. Anything to improve mileage!!! ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts