Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. The battery was on blue mostly and some green, the car didnt seem to use electric mode for long i mean alil press on the gas and it was out of electric i tried to keep it in electric mode but it was moving at snails pace and felt completly underpowered, terrain was flat 2 passengers me and the car guy, when I first got in the car the battery was half way and through most of the test drive it looked as if it was using the battery and charging it at the same time(by the screen). AT the last 2 minutes of the drive it became green. never passed 65-70%. It started at 40-50% drive was about 10 minutes.

2. This car seemed to be enemic I was kinda dissapointed, it had 10miles on it ,and it was an 05 packaged 3, It WAS NOT enemic when I hit the gas meaning more than half way down but I was trying to bring it in electric mode the main reason this hybrid is better than a civic or insight.

3. I cant hear the difference between electric and gas they both sound quiet, i was using the monitor to see the difference the car handles good and the steering is tight.

So anyones thoughts on this test drive. The main question I have is, was barely tapping the pedal all the electric mode works on, because anymore than say 15% pressure on the pedal brought it out of electric mode.... this is a big deal to me i still want one but ...... any current owners can help with this or people who have tried the car had similiar experience ?

Thanks Anthony

·
Registered
515 Posts
Stealth is intended for maintaining a cruising speed, not for acceleration. In fact, it is less efficient to accelerate using only electricity. You are better off taking advantage of the engine availability instead.

As for the "enemic" sensation, you clearly haven't driven an electric vehicle. The absense of feeling is what people desire most. The smooooooth sensation is what those shopping for luxury vehicles seek. The roar & rumble of an large engine is a turn-off, not an appeal factor in a "full" hybrid.

·
Registered
27 Posts
After the PRII has warmed up so the ICE is not trying heat the catylitic converter to reduce emissions, going into stealth (EV mode) is a learned technique.

When starting off from a stop light, use appropriate ICE power to get to a few miles above the speed limit. Then release the gas pedal completely and the car will go into full battery charge. Next "ease" back in on the gas pedal till you find a sweet spot where the car will remain in stealth and maintain speed also.

Slowing down for turning cars, hills, or other events ahead require repeating the above procedure.

Don't expect the PRII to take you from a standing start in stealth past about 12 miles per hour (enemic is a good word for this). Use the ICE to get the car moving as you would any "other" brand and then use the stealth as able. As you get more aware of the car feel, it will be easier to find the sweet spot. Also, after the car get a few miles on it there will be less internal resistance to overcome.

Don't dismay, the PRII is a great car. The EPA figures can be attained but only after retraining the driver to modify what has been a lifetime of direct linkage between their gas foot and the roar of the engine.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the response I am NOT in any way knocking the car I love it!!!!!!! I just wanted some opinions as to how the car works......... and what to be expected....... Thanks for any more comments.....

·
Registered
515 Posts
I ordered both my Classic & HSD Prius blind, based on nothing but non-tactile research.

I knew the feel would not be the identical to a traditional vehicle. But since tried & true technology is by no means a qualification for "the best", I was more than willing to give what the engineers (which Toyota providing very generous resources to) had invented. And boy did that ever pay off. Their "build from scratch" approach allowed them to overcome obstacles of the past.

And now that the third generation components are in mass-production, research to widen the appeal is underway. Figuring out what consumers what is a very difficult chore, since consumers aren't aware of what's possible in the first place. But imagine if they did... the result would be anger for having been mislead for so many years.

The story used to be that a hybrid the vehicle had to be small & powerless. Now the truth is being revealed. Electric motors are capable of delivering acceleration FASTER than most gas engines. (Once, I saw an electric car toast a Viper on a 1/4 drag. It was pretty sweet!) And size makes no difference, even large trucks can take advantage of the technology.

If you like Prius, great! If not, there will be lots of other hybrid choices available later. The design can be configured in a variety of different ways. Just keep in mind that you may not be aware the way it behaves based on a simple test-drive. You really need to get feedback from actual owners that have had an ample opportunity to experience the wide range of real-world driving situations you wouldn't encounter on a test-drive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jamari- Finanacially I am not ready for a prius mentally I am and I HAVE OWNED AN INSIGHT

John your last paragraph hit it on the nose I really need that type of feedback I have been reading your website and I enjoy it but it doesnt give a real life summary as for multible details relating to drives and what to expect and not to expect, i expected way too much with the insight and ended up trading it. I am now in a predictiment because I instead of sucking up the loss of 5k down on the insight i bought a vw......

anyways if anyone could provide me with real life experience that would be great ......

thanks again

Prius #1 FAN
Anthony

PS as soon as I save 10k i will get one

1 - 8 of 8 Posts