Toyota Prius Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
if your car wont start - this is how i solved it

i disconnected the battery in the back of the car
this caused a complete reboot, and the car was then fine
i assume the problem was low battery in the first place, but we still couldn't get it started even with jump start

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problem solved. I have had a similar problem haunting me for the pass 6 months on my Prius 2008. All lights up except Ready, and cannot put into drive. It happened intermittently. I have changed my 12V auxiliary battery, the Hybrid battery, and last week, I discover it was a faulty brake switch that have caused the problem.

When step on the brake before pressing the Start button, make sure your brake light at rear is lighted up. If not, go underneath the steering wheel shaft, wiggle on the brake switch, and try again. If the brake light comes up, you can press the Start button, it should start up.

Hope this will solve your problem. Good luck folks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem with our 2011 Prius. Foot fully on brake pedal, push start, all lights come on display except "Ready", which means the car will no go into gear. Been to the dealer, but they could not repeat the defect and stated all systems working well and no computer trouble codes. Happened twice this morning, was able to get the "ready" light to come on by keeping my foot on the brake after the display lights come on and pressing the start button again. Switched to the second fob, but has not cured problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought an 08. Powers up, comes out of park and into neutral. Will not enter D or R. Sometimes.
Have noticed brake light on. Cycled E brake. Light still active. Removed kick panel and manually cycled switch. Brake light still active.

Just beginning to learn about these cars. My no go scenario is related to park brake. I will pierce wires from switch and determine if fault is in switch itself or the computer interface.

Yes, if I come back to car after a few minutes not a trace of a problem and the brake light will be off. Only had car three days, but this has happened too many times. But so far only when park brake has been set. This Prius will D or R with park brake set. But if releasing the park brake does not kill the brake light(which it usually does) it aint goin nowhere, 'cept downhill!

I'll try to sort this one out and post again in a week or two.

Sometimes complicated problems have very simple solutions. Next time your Prius will not go try to remember anything you may have done differnt then normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
won't go into gear

I have a 2015 Prius which has not gone into gear on 3 occasions. I'm looking at your posts because the service guys said they never heard of this problem. Once was towed but worked for the service guy. I am afraid to drive at night for fear of this happening. I traded my perfect 2005 Matrix. Wish i hadn't.
Any further ideas or suggestions? If it happens again I try the suggestions posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Went to Buena Park Toyota and tech said

It was due to dome light switch. According to invoice it is listed under parts : 28856 Adjusted Dome Light Switch. Hopefully this takes care of the problem. It happened twice last week. :nerd:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts