Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. My car has given me no problems and is in excellent shape. I can’t afford a car payment and it just hit 60,000 miles. My concerns are the large battery going bad and that I don’t have the safety features that the new models have.
I have heard that you have to have about 200,000 miles before you have to worry about the battery, is this true. I can’t afford to add the blind spot side indicators and the back up camera is the size of the rear view mirror. Any suggestions or comments. Thanks to all my Prius friends.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello all. My car has given me no problems and is in excellent shape. I can’t afford a car payment and it just hit 60,000 miles. My concerns are the large battery going bad and that I don’t have the safety features that the new models have.
I have heard that you have to have about 200,000 miles before you have to worry about the battery, is this true. I can’t afford to add the blind spot side indicators and the back up camera is the size of the rear view mirror. Any suggestions or comments. Thanks to all my Prius friends.
My 2010 Prius has 105,000 miles & is running great! Besides regular oil changes, a set of new tires & a new Optima auxiliary battery the car has been very dependable. We use it on a daily basis & don't let it set for any extended time. I expect to get 200,000 miles before the main traction battery needs replacement. I enjoy getting 50 mpg & passing the gas pumps. Here in Seattle we are seeing gas at over $4.00 a gallon. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a 2004 and got 150,000 before changing the main battery.
I have a 2009 with 145,000 so far looking good.
I would wait until the big RED light comes on. Do not get it changed at a dealer.
Check around and you can save a lot of money. I had one put in that was rebuilt and had no problems.
You should get at least a 1yr warranty or more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Our Prius is a 2004 with a tad over 170K miles. We put in new traction (the big) battery at about 160K miles. A tech drove up to us (Central Oklahoma) from a third party supplier in Texas to deliver/install the new batt. He brought three batts, ours, another customer who wanted an install and a third batt for a DIY customer. Install went fast and perfect. Significantly less expensive than the quote from Toyota dealer.

The only issues we have had are an after market set of tires that needed constant topping off (since replaced and no problems) and I forgot to do a load test on the little 12 volt batt so had problems till it was replaced (twice.) I get 5-7 years on the little 12 volt batt. This time (latest replacement) I went for the more expensive AGM type batt which is supposed to be significantly better.

Car has been extremely dependable. Wife loves it. I favor getting a new car with all the safety features but she favors driving it till it is not economical to keep it going and then buy a new one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts