Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 Prius has a recently developed problem. In the morning when I try to start it, there doesn't seem to be enough voltage. If I use my Battery Tender Jump Starter it will start every time and I can drive around to do errands and whatever and all seems OK. It will restart no problem. When I park and leave it overnight, it won't start in the morning. I've taken the battery out and recharged it. It holds 12.3 volts for quite awhile. When I reinstalled it and waited around 4 hours the battery read 7.9 Volts. Again I was able to use the jump starter and it started right away. The jump starter read 100% when I started and was still in high 90% after starting. I should mention that the battery was new in February. I made a mistake using a battery lift strap as the smaller terminals weren't gripped too well, in short, the battery fell and hit the positive pole, creating a dent around it and putting it a little off vertical. But, installed, it worked well. So, is it possible the battery is defective after the accident- it worked up until about two week ago. Is there something in the 12V battery's line that could be draining it when the car is parked and locked. I'll put in a new battery if I have to but I don't want to repeat the morning dead battery issue if there some other cause. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2010 Prius has a recently developed problem. In the morning when I try to start it, there doesn't seem to be enough voltage. If I use my Battery Tender Jump Starter it will start every time and I can drive around to do errands and whatever and all seems OK. It will restart no problem. When I park and leave it overnight, it won't start in the morning. I've taken the battery out and recharged it. It holds 12.3 volts for quite awhile. When I reinstalled it and waited around 4 hours the battery read 7.9 Volts. Again I was able to use the jump starter and it started right away. The jump starter read 100% when I started and was still in high 90% after starting. I should mention that the battery was new in February. I made a mistake using a battery lift strap as the smaller terminals weren't gripped too well, in short, the battery fell and hit the positive pole, creating a dent around it and putting it a little off vertical. But, installed, it worked well. So, is it possible the battery is defective after the accident- it worked up until about two week ago. Is there something in the 12V battery's line that could be draining it when the car is parked and locked. I'll put in a new battery if I have to but I don't want to repeat the morning dead battery issue if there some other cause. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated
I also have a 2010 Prius. It sounds like you are getting a reading from the surface charge. I would fully charge the battery & put the load tester on for 10 seconds & see if it doesn't drop below 9.5 volts. In a regulator car you need 9.5 volts to engage the solenoid in the starter. I would try to take the battery back to where you bought it & see if they will give you a new one. Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem seems to have solved itself. The only thing I found wrong was the positive terminal connection- seemed loose. The battery had been dropped when new ( the carry strap didn't get a good grip on the smaller posts) and had the positive terminal bent slightly from vertical. The cable terminal connector was unable to go all the way down on the post. But I was able to secure it firmly and the issue went away. Probably wasn't charging fully and running some items with car turned off must have drained it. It''s been a week so far so good. Thanks for your response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts