Toyota Prius Forum banner

2010 Prius dead

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mastiff 
#1 ·
My 2010 Pruis seems dead. The back hatch is locked and I can't unlock it to get to the battery to see if I can charge it. Can't move it out of the way because can't get it out of park. Tried to put jack under the front to roll it on the jack but I can't get the jack under it. Any ideas???

#2 ·
Needs to get a jump

Pop your hood and remove the cover for the fuses and relays. Up top there should be a big bolt and nut and should be marked as the +. Hook a jumper cable from another car or a battery jumper POSITIVE to that bolt and then hook the - cable to a good ground. All your locks will now work and you should be able to start the car now as well. It is about the time when the small battery (on mine it is in the very far right rear corner of the car, under the top deck of the back area) starts failing since the life of a battery is about 5 years for the standard battery that they usually are.

#3 ·
Step by step.
Get a voltmeter. Measure the battery -directly- across the battery terminals. Not the connection cable terminals. You should see 12V or more. Next try the cable terminals. Turn on the headlamps and measure again across the cable terminals. If the voltage is a lot less, remove the cable terminals and clean the lead terminals. Check again. Check the negative cable where it bolts to the body (rear). If all that is good but you don't see 12V at the "boost point" under the hood, you may have a blown 12V system fuse. It's on the positive battery cable, as I recall.

It's pretty simple. If the battery is good something between it and the car is resistive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.