Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this Prius for less than 30 days. Monday I get in the car put it into reverse and it goes into neutral. I had to keep the gear shift pushed up to make it go in reverse. Then I tried to put it into drive and same thing I had to keep the gear shift pushed into drive to make it go forward.
I then parked it and called the dealership. They had never heard of such a thing.
Made arrangements to to have it towed the next day. Of course that evening I started the car again and it did not do it again. I took it in anyway and they could not duplicate the problem.
It has not happened again.
Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Prius with 30,000 miles and it too slips out of drive and reverse and into neutral. It seems to do it on really hot days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since this past Sunday have been experiencing some really strange behavior from my ‘07 Prius as well.

Afternoons when temps in West Texas have been staying around 99+ and the battery status indicator on the center console display registers 1 purple bar, moving car drops out of gear, goes to neutral. Makes no difference where I am and how fast I am going, happened in parking lots and has happened as I’ve climbed and descended San Augustine or Transmountain Passes in Texas and New Mexico. Little discomforting… Have not been idling or letting it sit without moving for any period with other systems on.

After the gear drop, have been able to get it back in Drive and stays after load shedding, i.e. AC, lights and radio off. No other power draws that I’m aware of that I can impact. What I mean by that is after the incident, I load shed, sit for couple of minutes, restart with those systems off, shift to Drive and either drive slowly or coast enough to regenerate and stores power in hybrid batteries and then it stays in gear. Another indicator something is amiss is that the letter B in the shift pattern to the left of the speed display disappears when the gear.

Common thread has been high use of AC and low battery. AC performance has not appeared to degrade, no means for me to check other than “feel”. Moving around parking lot is not much stress and usually ICE comes on when AC is on and car moves more than 8-10 mph. Dealer maintenance at turn in desk says that there may be something generating a high current draw that contributes to issue.

I'm not sure that this is a mechanical or switch problem, seems like logic of low power, a fail safe kicks in. It's in the shop, will see what is diagnosed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's cold in Arizona (was in the 30s overnight) and I had the same problem driving my 2005 Prius this morning. Have had no problems with this car except the 12 volt battery replacement last month (no warning on the battery level). When shifted into reverse, it slipped into neutral within 5 seconds. Same thing trying for drive. Tried turning off and restarting. No luck. I'll try again later. I would love to hear whether others have had solutions or sold their Prius. I'm looking for the dealership to solve this and am not encouraged by what I'm reading online.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Did you see any error codes or any displays on the screen? Also, are you in snow country? Did any of this happen while driving on snow and ice?

Before you take it to the dealer, you might try disconnecting the 12v battery for a few minutes to reset all systems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Later the problem did not happen (temperature was increased by then), but this morning getting ready to take it to dealer, it happened again. No snow involved, just temperatures around freezing. No warning light. I'll be trying it every 1/2 hour to see if I can get it to stay in gear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2005 Prius currently in the shop. I am in northern Arizona, and on supercold days (7F to -21F) the car shifts back to neutral (N) and can only be driven if I hold the shifter in place. I also noticed that in colder weather, when shifting it sounds like I am breaking cheap plastic. My car is currently in the shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Elenah,

Are you still having this issue. I have a 2008P and its having the same issue as you described. Just wondering if you got a tech diagnosis or just living with the problem. I have an appt with my mechanic next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Curious is anyone has been able to get a repairable diagnosis or is this just something we Prius owners have to live with. Any help would be great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts