Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Here's my 2006 package #3 Prius with new tires, rims and ceramic tint. Thanks to everyone for the recommendations you gave me.

I've got a sportscar now!! :D

·
Registered
591 Posts
So in Calif. are you allowed to tint the driver and pass. side window? We aren't in Alberta - any window from the "back of the head" of the driver back can be tinted.

Oh, and the car looks great with those wheels/tires.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Cool Car! Danger, Danger!

Wow! Pretty car! It looks downright futuristic in silver, like a robot almost. Danger, Danger Will Robinson!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2far4gas said:
Any idea what the new rim/tire combo weighs? Any reduction in mileage, ride comfort? Does it handle better?
Thanks to everyone for their nice comments. Honestly i don't know how much the tires and rims weigh. The shop that sold them to me said that these should weigh the same or less than the original tires and rims. I also don't know how much less mileage I'm doing but I've heard it's about 5mpg less with 17" rims and 205 tires.
The car does handle much better in the freeway. It's much more stable than before. In the city you can feel the road a bit more but that is normal with any performance tires.
And best of all, it looks awesome! I know I am sacrificing some mpgs, but it's not a lot and it's worth it, plus I am a smooth driver and don't go crazy when driving, so that kind of makes it up for the few miles I'm missing because of the new wheels.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Very nice! Welcome to the After Market Rims Club.

You should notice a minor loss in MPG, but a gain in performance. Well worth the trade off. IMHO, of course.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Basically if the wheel fits snugly over the hub, that centers it. If there is space (often the case with aftermarket wheels), then the bolts/nuts center it. Having the bolts/nuts center the wheel is not the best way to go, as the wheel can easily end up slightly off centre. So some add a "centering ring", that takes up the space around the hub. That makes the aftermarket wheel hub centric.

All my vehicles have been hub centric in OEM trim. That's one of the things that makes it hard to get the wheel off, especially after a snowy winter - the hub corrodes to the aluminum wheel. You have to kick it after removing the wheel nuts. I use waterproof grease and put a -very- light coat on the hub and back plate - put it on and wipe it off with a finger so it's just "stained" with grease. That reduces the corrosion enough the wheel will just pull off without any problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.