Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Prius last week (package 5). In the shop now getting leather seats. The rear camera seems to be a bit too wide angle to give any accurate view of how close you are to a rear obstacle. I was backing into a parking space yesterday which seemed fairly tight when I pulled along side it. When I backed into the space the rear video looked like there was about 10 feet between my car and the car behind me. When I got out of the car and took a look, it was less than 2 feet. Although not as elegant, the rear proximity sonar on my Ford Explorer could get me to within 5 -6 inches from an obstacle without any problem.

I realize that it has to be wide angle, which naturally will distort the view. I think it's too wide, showing areas that are not really in the path of the car.

Anybody care to share their experiences?

Sy Cohen

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just get used to it. Back up carefully to another car until you are as close to it as you would ever want to be to another car or other object, then note and memorize how it looks on the screen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
sycohen said:
The rear camera seems to be a bit too wide angle to give any accurate view of how close you are to a rear obstacle. I was backing into a parking space yesterday which seemed fairly tight when I pulled along side it. When I backed into the space the rear video looked like there was about 10 feet between my car and the car behind me. When I got out of the car and took a look, it was less than 2 feet. Although not as elegant, the rear proximity sonar on my Ford Explorer could get me to within 5 -6 inches from an obstacle without any problem.
Sy Cohen
I have 800 km on the clock and am now used to the rear view. I have been thinking of getting a sheet of clear film and cutting a removable mask to go over the MFD. I would then park along side the road kerbing and draw a line showing where the curb is. By doing that on both sides, it would be easy to distinguish what is behind the car and what is out to the side.
Also, you will find the road showing immediately behind the rear part of the car is about 2 feet behind the car. Therefore, if you are backing into a space, try and project the front of the car behind straight down. When that spot disappears from site, stop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.