Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've owned my 2006 Prius for about 2 months now. I bought it from the original owner who always kept it in a garage and all service work performed by the dealer - its in immaculate condition. I was told that it's a "top of the line", option 8 with leather seats. I just hit 80k mikes yesterday on it.

Ever since I purchased it, it will rev really high, while going up any hill or simply trying to accelerate too quickly. I've figured this out around town, and I accelerate really, really, really slowly so it doesn't happen. Cruise control has to be constantly lowered really quickly or even repeatedly turned off to prevent it from high revving. The revving seems to be exceptionally high. I've been a gearhead and drag racer for decades. I live in Denver, but I've never actually taken it to the mountains.

I've replaced the 12v battery but the hybrid is still original. I recently got 47.8mpg in the city and about 36mpg on a drive from Denver to Wichita yesterday.

First off, is high revving on slight inclines or average accelerations normal? I simply don't know?

What could cause the high revving if its not normal?

For what its worth - I've scoured the internet as well as these forums and haven't found an answer. Thank you for your time!

· Registered
38 Posts
Not saying it is, but it is about that time when your drive battery is starting to go. I own a 2005 Prius and just shortly after reaching 79K, mine went out. And before that, my battery level would go down faster and each time it did my engine would rev up quite a bit to recharge the drive battery. I was told by the dealer techs that it is not the mileage as much as the age of the batteries. Just like the regular 12v battery (which on AVERAGE lasts about 5 years) the drive battery also has an expected life range. And with mine, it would always rev up more when you really step on the gas or when going up steep hills. Don't notice it much since I had that expensive thing replaced. Maybe it just seemed expensive since I had just had my second Cat. Converter stolen, and replaced, right before the battery threw up just about every warning light on my dash and the drive battery charge indicator on the dash kept going from full to empty over and over again before I drove the 5 miles back home.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I've owned my 2006 Prius for about 2 months now. I bought it from the original owner who always kept it in a garage and all service work performed by the dealer - its in immaculate condition. I was told that it's a "top of the line", option 8 with leather seats. I just hit 80k mikes yesterday on it.

Ever since I purchased it, it will rev really high, while going up any hill or simply trying to accelerate too quickly. I've figured this out around town, and I accelerate really, really, really slowly so it doesn't happen. Cruise control has to be constantly lowered really quickly or even repeatedly turned off to prevent it from high revving. The revving seems to be exceptionally high. I've been a gearhead and drag racer for decades. I live in Denver, but I've never actually taken it to the mountains.

I've replaced the 12v battery but the hybrid is still original. I recently got 47.8mpg in the city and about 36mpg on a drive from Denver to Wichita yesterday.

First off, is high revving on slight inclines or average accelerations normal? I simply don't know?

What could cause the high revving if its not normal?

For what its worth - I've scoured the internet as well as these forums and haven't found an answer. Thank you for your time!
If the Prius had a standard manual transmission, I'd immediately think of the pressure plate. My 2004 Forester (which I sold after I bought my 2011 Prius) was also showing these symptoms. Would have cost me about $1000 to have the work done. But I realize that ain't how the Prius works, so no help here--sorry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts