Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from one of my little birdies that has been keeping its ear to the
ground about changes that Toyota USA is thinking about for the 2006 Prius.
News flown to me from Southern CA.

All info is preliminary, not etched in stone yet... The high-up Toyota
people are still deciding on what they want to offer, so things may still
change... Consider this a better than rumor, but can still change...

Do feel free to comment - maybe some of the Toyota folks may read these
groups and your thoughts may help them with their decisions...

New 2006 Prius will be out in November (not until sometime after Halloween)

exterior colors:
Super White (color code 040) stays same
Black (color code 202) stays same
Seaside Pearl (color code 8S2) stays same
Driftwood Pearl (color code 4S2) stays same
Millenium Silver Metallic (color code 1C0) is replaced:
changes to either Silver Millenium (like Highlanders) or Silver Streak
(like Tacomas)
Tideland Pearl (color code 6S9) is replaced:
changes to the new Avalon color known as Silver Pine (a lightish
silvery green)
Salsa Red (color code 3Q3) is replaced:
changes to a new red metallic... no idea on color
+Add a new gray metallic exterior color, probably Flint Mica (like the
Scion tC or the Rav4's)

add a leather option in ivory and grey in most models

no decision yet on any interior color/exterior color combination changes

Package content changes are certain, unknown what the changes are at the
moment...

Maybe a driver's power seat option

The front headlights, grille, foglamps area (fascia) changes, rear
taillights change.

The audio system will change for better sound.

May also change the wheel design... but a BIG maybe on that.

No decision yet on a special edition car in White Pearl (Arctic) with tan
leather...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Changes needed:

-the radio/CD player knobs need to be larger and knurled

-add a hand parking brake in addition to the foot operated one

-fog light lens protection against road debris

-factory/dealer installed mud flaps

I would have bought leather if they offered it on 2004.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been lurking here for a few months. Information about model year 2006 is exactly what I have been looking for. Thank you for sharing. I expect to be purchasing a 2006 Prius.

As for feedback.......

What do we do while we are in a car? We SIT. Improvements in seating would be a very positive decision. Power seats made of leather is what I am looking for. Lumbar control would be a good decision too. Would bun warmers kill mpg? I live in Wisconsin and I love the bun warmers in my other car (Saab).

Also, I am glad to hear (no pun intended) that the radio/cd will possibly be getting an upgrade. The current standard version is pretty bad. I have not had an opportunity to hear the upgraded version. Any improvements in speakers would help too.

Hopefully, your contacts will keep you informed. Please keep the info flow coming.

Thanks

·
Registered
919 Posts
An04Prius said:
Changes needed:

-the radio/CD player knobs need to be larger and knurled

-add a hand parking brake in addition to the foot operated one

-fog light lens protection against road debris

-factory/dealer installed mud flaps

I would have bought leather if they offered it on 2004.
You're absolutely right about the radio knobs--not a huge deal, but I can't even count the number of times I touched "scan" while trying to increase volume. Would love red leather interior.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Same. The Seek/Track is too close to the volume knob.

Power seat would be nice.

Why does Toyota keep changing their greens? They took out the rather nice Mineral Green Opal and replaced it with the disgusting Cactus Mica on the Corolla. They moved MG Opal to the Camry (which replaced Aspen Green Pearl). MG Opal looks horrid on the Camry (though Aspen is slightly better, not by much).

Now they're replacing Tideland with Silver Pine? Is it similar to the Silver Spruce Metallic on the 98-00 Sienna. If it is, then that's fine.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
firepa63 said:
I would like to see automatic door locks after putting the vehicle in drive. Also DRL should be standard.
ONLY if driver can override the automatic locking. I want control over when my doors are locked.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Thanks for the update Michelle...some interesting stuff there. Hate to see the Salsa color go away.

For those talking about the stereo...I'm kinda suprised that 3 of you have chimed in about the knobs/buttons...I don't even touch those things except the right knob when I have to search for a channel on XM. I use the buttons on the steering wheel exclusively.

The seat, the seat, the seat...for goodness sakes make the seat decent!

Stereo upgrade is never a bad thing, but I can live with what I have and wouldn't put it as a priority.

The think I found interesting is that these are all cosmetic/creature comfort upgrades. No mention of integrating the newer inverter or increased battery power. Also didn't mention the suspension improvements previously announced (? only for non-N. American versions?).

I won't be trading in my '04 any time soon, but I'm glad to see that there's some attention being paid to attracting a wider audience to the Prius.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
Why does Toyota keep changing their greens? They took out the rather nice Mineral Green Opal and replaced it with the disgusting Cactus Mica on the Corolla. They moved MG Opal to the Camry (which replaced Aspen Green Pearl). MG Opal looks horrid on the Camry (though Aspen is slightly better, not by much).

Now they're replacing Tideland with Silver Pine? Is it similar to the Silver Spruce Metallic on the 98-00 Sienna. If it is, then that's fine.
I wonder, as the model season comes to an end, do they take all the small batches of leftover very expensive paint, mix it up into various large batches enough to support the new model season, then invite marketing in to give the new batches some clever "cool" names...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
efusco said:
...I'm glad to see that there's some attention being paid to attracting a wider audience to the Prius.
but only if they improve the seats :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Three60guy said:
Would bun warmers kill mpg?
Why - you planning on opening a mobile Quiznos in your car?

But seriously, (try the veal) I'm in the minority who thinks the JBL stereo sounds pretty good as-is, BUT, I wish, I wish, I wish the system would play 5.1 discs. If the CD player would also play DVD-Audio or SACD music, that'd be da bomb. The JBL system already has a front center speaker which currently doesn't add much to the party, but since that speaker's already in the perfect location, 5.1 should be fairly easily doable with the addition of a SACD & DVD-Audio decoder and a discrete center channel amp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thomme said:
Why - you planning on opening a mobile Quiznos in your car?
STOP THAT! Your breaking me up.

Let me add one more item...

While all the items shared above are good ones, I think anything which will increase miles per gallon will be even better. Toyota, you listening?

Ok, who wants something from the menu? :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hyperion said:
How about bottom line MSRP. Are they going for a profit on this years model? Notice the Camry H coming in at $29,000.
Prius has been profitable for a while now.

No, I didn't get data on MSRP, probably because they're still debating about what features and option packages they'll offer.

It was nice that the MSRP didn't change for the 2001, 2002, 2003, and much of the 2004 model year. Price of the 2004s went up mid-year, and then it went up again with the 2005 (but the rear wiper became standard, not a mostly-forced option)...

I'd guess that with the popularity and that they still aren't languishing on dealer lots that Toyota may milk a few hundred more out of people for a 2006.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My biggest complaint on the proposed 2006 changes: Leather seats.

With the current crap-shoot "ordering" system of getting cars, people are going to be forced to get leather seats (even if they didn't order it that way, or originally wanted to pay the obvious added price) just to get a car, now, that's "close enough". It'll add to wait times for those who are picky about their interior. Some dealers are already forcing buyers to get aftermarket leather by putting it on all their Prius, and you have to special order it to NOT have leather, padding the dealer profit, so it's not unforseen that this'll happen when it's an orderable option...

That's besides my other stands against leather. (My first car, a gift, had leather. Never again.)
1. Freezing in winter, even through thick winter clothes
2. Scalding in summer, even through towels on the seats and clothing
3. Difficult to maintain (cracks easily, gets cigarette burns easily, have to use special cleaner/polish to clean and keep soft/smooth)
4. Everything, and I mean everything, slides around everywhere

Considering that the current Prius already comes with easy to keep clean, soft, and never a temperature problem cloth seats, why strip them off (add to landfill) to put on a different seat cover? (True, this wouldn't be as much of an issue if offered from the factory, but could add to delivery lead times for either interior...)

It takes much less land to grow the plants needed for cloth seats, as opposed to feed/grazing land to grow a cow. Less land means less fertilizer and pesticide use, and the associated runoff issues. (For example, much of the lower Mississippi River extending into part of the Gulf is considered a "dead zone" - cannot support life, thanks to all of the agricultural runoff that flows down the river...)

The tanning process itself is fairly toxic, smelly, and has its own share of runoff issues. Typically involves lots of heavy metals, and 3rd world labor. The tanning process actually makes the leather no longer very biodegradable. I'll just say that it's not an industry I'd want to support...

Then there's the whole humane issue about where the leather comes from (meat, but often dairy cows), what conditions the cows are raised and then slaughered in... (Legally in the US, cows don't even have to be dead, just unconcious, when their hides are removed!)

A leather option really has lots of not-environmentally-friendly problems associated with it. Almost as bad as the choice of mercury-laden HID headlamps (option on 2004+ Prius)...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Performance version

Thanks, Michelle! I know this may be overkill, but, I'd like to see a performance version with the same 125KW motor,inverter, and battery as the Highlander. OK you can all stop laughing now. :oops:

OK. then how about just the Higlander battery ?

OK. then how about an AWD version?

All right I'd settle for a Moonroof and an aux input on all the radios.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts