Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share this with the group. Traction battery failed at 118k miles. Dash lit up like an Xmas tree including the "Red Triangle of Death". Car limped along, engine revved at a high rpm, and the battery fan in the back seat was double timing it. Could not continue on the freeway so AAA to the rescue.

Toyota dealership told me that it was a "new" battery, but with a one year warranty and unlimited miles, I don't feel confident that it is a new unit. $2900 out the door.

Car runs like new now, we'll see how long this one lasts. Would be curious as to when any other Gen 2 Prius Traction batteries have failed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Recently the hybrid battery in our '04 Prius started losing charge overnight as it approached 15 years and 160K Plus miles. Had a new aftermarket batt installed by a company in Dallas (they drove to central Oklahoma and it cost $1700. The mileage went up and car runs like new. We put on over 6000 miles on it so far. We were told life expectancy on hybrid batt is 12-15 years and we got nearly 15.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will help by saying that my 2005 Gen 2 bought brand new and only driven by me or my wife made it to 254,245 miles and 14 years and 7 months before the red triangle of death. I think she was showing symptoms the last few months but was drivable. So it seems in my case it's the march of time that took its toll not the miles. Almost 15 years is pretty good. Seems like if you spent $2900 you got a new battery. I bought mine for $1560 in southern CA and installed it myself to save about $900 in labor. It was not easy but not impossible. There are plenty of how to's video's on youtube that prepare you for the task. I took my time with breaks and did it in 3 hours. There is a video of of a fellow that does this for a living and staged a 15 minute install from start to finish. You need very few tools to do this. The hardest thing for me was finding a dealer willing to sell it to me. Many would not claiming environmental hazardous materials and danger to self. Hog wash. I went to OEM Toyotaparts do com and found my battery and selective dealer pick up instead of shipping. If you live in SoCal and its not too inconvenient for for me I will show and help you, if you have some mechanical skills to compliment my assistance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thought I would share this with the group. Traction battery failed at 118k miles. Dash lit up like an Xmas tree including the "Red Triangle of Death". Car limped along, engine revved at a high rpm, and the battery fan in the back seat was double timing it. Could not continue on the freeway so AAA to the rescue.

Toyota dealership told me that it was a "new" battery, but with a one year warranty and unlimited miles, I don't feel confident that it is a new unit. $2900 out the door.

Car runs like new now, we'll see how long this one lasts. Would be curious as to when any other Gen 2 Prius Traction batteries have failed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have not had this problem yet, and hope I never do, but if it happens I plan to call one of the after market guys who comes to you and replaces the battery pack in about an hour for $800 or so. Reconditioned batteries, but I could do that 3 or 4 times for less than new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts