Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a new member here and am currently on the waiting list for a 2006 Prius. My wife wants the Camri, so could you all take a guess on how much more the Camri hybrid might cost? Thanks.

Ken

·
Registered
298 Posts
Have you tried going to the Toyota website and building your car with the features you want? That should give you the price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Camri does not have a hybrid currently so I can't do a Prius to Camri comparison. I'm asking for guesses by the knowledgable members of this forum.

THanks.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
kwe said:
The Camri does not have a hybrid currently so I can't do a Prius to Camri comparison. I'm asking for guesses by the knowledgable members of this forum.

THanks.
$3K more than a current Camry should put you in the ballpark.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Not to nitpick, but it is spelled Camry.

Anyway, the price premium above is about right. I would also expect that plain-jane-steel-wheel-plastic-wheel-cover LE trim grade Camry's will probably not be the ones equipped with HSD. I'm inclined to believe that the lowest trim grade you will be able to get HSD in will be XLE with cloth interior. The reason being that Toyota is going to want to provide auto climate and a number of the bells and whistles that people have come to expect in Prius, but those bells and whistles are required by current HSD implementations for efficiency purposes. Toyota won't want to water down the XLE trim grade by having LE trimed Camry's out there with auto climate only because they have HSD.

Unfortunatly, I also see the trend that Toyota isn't going to include the MFD in their regular HSD vehicles that do not include the nav system. Those vehicles will have a hybrid monitor with the instrument cluster but that will be about it. If you opt for nav then you will get the full MFD. I think that is being excessively cheap.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Unfortunatly, I also see the trend that Toyota isn't going to include the MFD in their regular HSD vehicles that do not include the nav system. Those vehicles will have a hybrid monitor with the instrument cluster but that will be about it. If you opt for nav then you will get the full MFD. I think that is being excessively cheep.

Hello Jeromep. I do agree with some of your comments and inputs on the 07 CH "Camry Hybrid" The "MFD" will be available on the HI-Lux models and the Regular versions will have non-MFD. The fact is that Toyota is already doing that with the HH the Highlander Hybrid. The Limited has the MFD and the lesser ones non-MFD

Quote: Via Toyota:
The HH was launched in JUNE 05 to complement the PRIUS and now
the HH or the Highlander Hybrid accounts for 20 percent of all Highlander sales since then !

And when the "Camry Hybrid" arrives Toyota will have all the bases covered. Prius for mileage, Highlander for efficient powerful performance

And the Hybrid CAMRY for the best of both, a Hybrid for everyone !

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Personally I don't see a downside to not having the MFD. If I had a choice of not getting one for my 04 Prius I would have gone that way. Mine is on the Consumption screen all of the time, so it's not something I would miss.

Just my personal preference...

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Just to note, the Camry Hybrid (being built in Kentucky, as opposed to the Prius which is built in Japan) is supposed to be a 2007 MY.

http://www.toyota.com/toyota/vehicles/f ... AMRYHYBRID

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/Vi ... 5051733982

Expect the sister 2007 MY Lexus GS 450h to be out prior to the Camry (much like how the RX 400h was out before the Highlander), in Spring 2006.

http://www.lexus.com/2007gsh_preview/index.html
http://www.lexus.com/2007gsh_neimanmarc ... ocid=20277

(Note that on the NeimanMarcus edition of the GS 450h, they replace the tachometer with a "power meter!")

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yeah, that's the annoying part. I believe the MFD helps to reduce fuel consumption by showing your habits and rewarding you with fuel efficient driving. That Consumption Screen is very useful. Making people pay for the nav just to get it is a stupid idea.

·
Registered
157 Posts
....and having a 4 cylinder hybrid Cambry just as important, no?

Have we established on other boards that a 4 cylinder is in the
works?

·
Registered
25 Posts
After looking at the Camry comparison pages, I'd guess the hybrid will be based off of a Camry SE, which currently has an MSRP of $20400. So $23000 is a possibility, although Toyota did express the wish to reduce the cost of the HSD.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yes, there will be a 4 cylinder version as well as a V6 HSD

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Regarding not having an MFD.
As long as there were at least cumulative MPG and instantaneous MPG, and an engine run indicator, that would be fine.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I am not surprised or upset by the lack of the MFD in a Camry w/o Nav. Camry drivers are conservative and the MFD with it's lack of normal switches and buttons may seem too radical for many traditional Camry buyers. It is also expensive (and carries risk of failure, as we have seen with the Prius), two more bugaboos for the ultra-reliable Camry.

Saving money by skipping the MFD is a smart idea. It lowers the "hybrid premium" as Toyota promised to do. If I didn't have Nav, I wouldn't mind it's lack.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
lol. My dad would. He loves the screen on the Prius. He leaves it in Consumption mode to help him improve his Prius driving techniques which I can only assume would help him with this Camry HSD techniques

·
Registered
586 Posts
My 2 cents...........

It seems to me that there is an awful lot of "Assuming" going on..........There is a Lot of concern about retro-fitting a HSD to an Existing Camry. The Camry Hybrid will be a 2007 and the Entire line-up of Camry's will be total re-designed............ anyone see the spy shots..........I did.........Looks like the Back-end of a Prius without a Hatchback.........and the front looks like a snub-nose Camry or even the Chrys. 300.

Remember the first Prius out .......No MFD only that little screen....... Second Generation.............Everybody get's one.............Highlander Hybrid MFD only with the Nav...........Second Generation ???????.

See a Trend..................BUT then were assuming again..........Take alook at the 2006 Prius.........especially Package #6............MFD, Bluetooth, and NO NAV!!!! MFD are becoming Standard Features.................why not the Camry Hybrid.

We have been told the Arrival time for the 2007Camry Hybrid will be anywhere between March 2006 and November 2006...........will they start with the V-6...or 4cly........will it be Front wheel drive or AWD, will it have the "Holy MFD or not..............who know, I'm just excited about it getting done........First edition is always a Experimental edition................Toyota has a word they yell every day "Kaizen" means Continuous Improvement! I'm ok with whatever the first generation is.............

TQ :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Re: My 2 cents...........

TWQ83 said:
Remember the first Prius out .......No MFD only that little screen....... Second Generation.............Everybody get's one.............Highlander Hybrid MFD only with the Nav...........Second Generation ???????.
MFD has been standard on every Prius. The 1998-2000 MY Japanese Prius has a MFD, but it uses buttons on the dash beneath the screen to control things. 2001-2003 Prius has a MFD, which was a touchscreen. 2004-? Prius have a MFD, it's just about 2" bigger diagonal, and has some updated graphics.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
yeah I've seen them. The ones that Danny posted on hybridscoop (remember the blurry ones?) those are the real deal. There are more spy shots and most spy shots indicated that the blurry ones we saw were real.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts