Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I also recommend them. Their fit, strength, and feel are all excellent. You have to look close to know they are covers, not the real upholstery.

On the advice of posters here, I ordered the "N6 Beige Velour" to go with the tan stock interior that comes with a Seaside car. When I pulled them out of the box in the house, they looked WAY too dark. But when I laid them over the seats outdoors, much to my surprise, the match was nearly perfect! Must have something to do with the way the grain of the fabric reflects different light differently.

Now I just want to get some of that same fabric to cover the door armrests. The kit came with pieces for the headrests and the center armrests (even the little filler pieces between the back seats and the doors), but the door armrests look like they will get dirty and worn fast.

Installation took about two careful hours for all four seats.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Godiva said:
Try GT covers in Buckskin leatherette or Ivory velour. Lucky you. They're on sale.

http://www.gtcovers.com/shop/categories ... &main=4975

Make sure you choose the side airbag option if you have side airbags.
So is the "leatherette" more like leather or more like the "ette"? What I mean is if I like leather, would I be disappointed by the leatherette?

Also, can one install these themselves?

Thanks,

DGStan

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Leatherette is a fancy word for vinyl. It looks nice, is easy to clean, easy to slide around on, but can be sticky on hot weather. It won't pass for leather. Very durable.

You can do it yourself with a minimum of fuss and tools in a couple of hours (front and rear).

·
Registered
46 Posts
We just got a Salsa Red with ivory and I'm seeing a LOT of discussion about seat covers. Is the interior that fragile in these cars? I've owned lots of vehicles, and never was really that concerned with having to immediately recover them. After reading posts on this as well as other forums, it seems to be a major concern, so I did treat the seats (and the carpet) with Scotch Guard. I used 2 cans on the fabric applied once a night over a 3 day period. I used one can of Scotch Guard carpet protector. On the fourth day, I poured a little water on the seat, and it beaded up and just rolled around. I hope that this will do the job. I hate to spend time and money recovering seats--they'll just look like recovered seats in a used car!

Tom

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
tomandbecky said:
We just got a Salsa Red with ivory and I'm seeing a LOT of discussion about seat covers. Is the interior that fragile in these cars? ...
Tom
I like the standard seat fabric. I spilled a latte, and the liquid sucked right up with the little carpet steamer thingy. Melted chocolate (sorry, it was a weak moment) also came right up. No pain, no stain! I find it comfy. I think some like a more slippy seat, cause they don't find the seat comfy and like to wriggle around on the slippy seat cover. I pretty much sit still. I like the soft fabric, and the plain design. I got leather in my Camry because the standard upholstery was like melted crayons on velour. HORRIBLE!! Couldn't live with THAT for years!!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I have kids, so I buy covers. That said, I'm the only one to spill so far! But I'm a lot more at ease in the car knowing I don't have to worry about a small spill, or a sharp part of clothing tearing the fabric.

The fabric seats seem to be well protected against absorbing spills, but it is fragile against abrasion.

I see it as an investment in resale value, and as a preventive measure against damage--not only spills, but also UV fading and weakening of the fabric. I park in the sun all day and it can be brutal.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I also tend to put seat covers on the driver's seat, just as a hedge against uneven wear on the off chance I ever trade a car in before it is on its last tires. I am, I am hesitant to admit, actually rather fond of sheepskin. However, with the side air bags, if I do put on seat covers, it'll probably be something like the GT ones.

I think the fabric in the Prius LOOKS fragile. So far, I haven't any evidence that it actually IS. Mine is holding up great so far.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Astrowoman-- I think you hit the nail on the head--the fabric LOOKS fragile, but is it? Any long term experience out there? I almost hate to put my arm on the consol or arm rest, because the fabric ther LOOKS so fragile and thin. But it may hold up very well, I just don't know. I only have 400 miles or so clocked, so I guess time will tell. My wife, 2 kids, and 2 dogs just left for a trip to Florida, (3000 miles round trip) and I simply didn't have time to get any covers. We put in sheets for the dogs and an ejection button for the kids. I'll let you know the outcome.

Tom

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I have a scrape on the inside edge of the front passenger seat. Nothing large or sharp has ever been there. I think a backpack was slid to the back seat and that may have done it. It didn't tear the fabric, but it left a changed grain that is visible, and it feels noticably thinner in that area, as if it had been abraded off, or scraped with a sharp edge. I ordered my seat covers the next week...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts