Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 2005 Prius with the BC package and a car came in today that nobody else wanted above me in the list, however, the color is Salsa Red and I wanted Seaside Pearl.

I'm actually thinking of passing on it. Am I crazy?

·
Registered
31 Posts
color

We have the salsa red and love it. I'm very pleased that it stays very clean looking, I was afraid it would show dirt being kinda dark in color.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.

Gene

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone else ended up with the car, because I had no way to make it to the dealer.

It's just as well, I didn't want that color.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just clarifying, you ordered a 2005 Prius and you will probably get one. The car that recently arrived (unless by FedEx) is a 2004 and a look at the VIN will verify that. I have no preference either way, as that is the stuff other threads are made of.

I would always advise someone to wait for their first choice if at all possible. But it's important to note that many Prius exteriors have the beige/ivory interior (Red and Blue among them), and from inside you don't see the exterior so much.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is probably a 2004. Pass on it at your own risk. You may have to wait many months to get the color of choice(I,incidentally, settled for a Salsa after ordering the Tideland Pearl---I love it!).

·
Registered
381 Posts
I gave my dealer a list of colors I did NOT want; of course, first one in was on that list and I passed on it. Second one in wasn't my first color choice (Driftwood Pearl), but I took it. Was less a case of not wanting to wait longer as it was not objecting to the Tideland Pearl. If you just plain don't like the color, I'd wait. :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
MUGlover said:
. . . and from inside you don't see the exterior so much.
Driving a 2001-03 Prius means never having to see your hood :D
Is this also true for the 2004?

(That would be "bonnet" for the English amongst you)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MUGlover said:
Just clarifying, you ordered a 2005 Prius and you will probably get one. The car that recently arrived (unless by FedEx) is a 2004 and a look at the VIN will verify that. I have no preference either way, as that is the stuff other threads are made of.

I would always advise someone to wait for their first choice if at all possible. But it's important to note that many Prius exteriors have the beige/ivory interior (Red and Blue among them), and from inside you don't see the exterior so much.
When do the 2005's start shipping?

·
Registered
381 Posts
RSnyder said:
Driving a 2001-03 Prius means never having to see your hood :D
Is this also true for the 2004?
Heh... didn't think of that. :) Short version: Yes, unless you count being able to see the top edge while the wipers are running. :wink:

·
Registered
299 Posts
I ordered the Salsa Red, but got the Silver one instead. But you really aren't "ordering" a car, you're paying $500 down to be added to a waiting list. Toyota decides what cars go to what deal, regradless of what people have "ordered" from the dealership. When a new Prius arrives, they contact the first person on the waiting list to see if they want it. If not, the call the second ... until someone wants it.

What really pissed me of is when I got a call telling me Toyota was not longer making the option package I "ordered". I got this call 4 months after I paid my $500 to be on the list.

But I do love my car. And aside from when I walk up to it, I have no idea what color it is!! The options package I finally did get was more than what I wanted, but am now glad I got them!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CaPriusLover said:
I ordered the Salsa Red, but got the Silver one instead. But you really aren't "ordering" a car, you're paying $500 down to be added to a waiting list. Toyota decides what cars go to what deal, regradless of what people have "ordered" from the dealership. When a new Prius arrives, they contact the first person on the waiting list to see if they want it. If not, the call the second ... until someone wants it.
That isn't what this dealer is doing. Everyone on the list has requested either the first available or a particular car. If the first person doesn't want the car then each person on the list is called too see if they want the car.

If the first person orders a specific car, then he/she waits until that exact car comes in.

In my case, there are 4 people before me that want the Seaside Pearl with package BC. After those people get their cars, then the next SP that comes in goes to me unless there is someone in front of me on the list that has asked for "First available."

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think it's basically the same thing. When a car comes in and lets say the top person on the list has requested a particular car and the car that came in is not what they asked for. They still will be asked if they want it. They can take it or wait until the car the requested comes in. If they are waiting for a car that has an option package/color that is not one of the more popular ones, they are in for a long wait.

The bottom line is that the dealer does not place an order with Toyota for your particular car. Toyota decides which options/colors will be sent to each dealer. I'm sure there is some sore of method they use to do this so that all possible varieties (sp?) of the car make it to each dealre.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts