Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hearing there are huge differences between earlier models and the 2005.
I'm considering buying an 05 within a few days.

What's Great about your 2005?

What's needs improvement ?

If you had to list any negatives with your 2005.....what would they be?

I'm concerned about comfort - Back support - I'm almost 50, I have a bad back, and if that's not bad enough......I'm SHORT (5'2") Will the seat be comfortable for me ? (Haven't test-driven yet. Hope to in next 2 days)

Tell me about your Prius

Thanks Much!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really enjoy the quiet drive, the high milage, and not taking out my keys to unlock the door and start the engine. (smart key system)

If I could improve the car it would be

1) Add an audio input jack to the car stereo.
2) A one click button to disable or enable the reverse beeping.
3) A gas tank that would hold 14 gallons instead of 11 gallons so I could really go 600+ miles on a tank of gas.
4) Bigger steering wheel.
5) Better seating material. The cloth seats are nice but they appear they won't last. (Yes you could purchase a seat cover.)

I took a 2 hour drive from San Francisco to Sacramento. I didn't have any problems with my back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Improvements

I think it's funny that one of the items the previous poster would improve is the steering wheel; they'd like it to be bigger. The smaller size of it is actually one of the things I really like! So... to each his own.

I have the Nav System and Bluetooth - one improvement I'd like would be to have the system automatically turn down the fan when an incoming call is answered or an outgoing call is placed. The radio/CD/Tape system audio is automatically lowered, but if the fan is running high, it can be almost impossible for someone to hear me speak over the roar.

One of my nits is the fabric material of the armrests in the door - seem to be dirt magnets. I'd rather they were either a hard surface, or something more like a vinyl, and easier to wipe off.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The only things I would like to see changed is a little more leg room in the drivers side and let the phone work when you are driveing . If you have to make a call then you have to stop and connect then you can resume driveing that sucks

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
How about the Insurance Companies of America report published several days ago that cellphones are attributing to over fifty percent of the car accidents in the U.S. Most in the first ten minutes of driving when "dead time" is being used and that statistics show that it makes no difference between hand held and handless. It seems to be the complete lack of attention of speed and traffic that goes along with the conversation.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
By huge difference I can only assume you're referring to the first generation. (i.e. the blue on on the left of PriusOnline.com at the top of the page).

+ Spacious
+ Lotsa cargo space and cubby holes for storage
+ Cool dashboard. I like the placement of the instrument panel
+ Smaller steering wheel. Holding it at 10-2 is less tiring (I usually have steering wheels at max height since I'm tall)
+ Safe - Standard TCS, opt VSC, side airbags, side curtains, foglights, HIDs plus a very good crash rating

- Not enough fabric on the door panels
- Centre console lid and door panel fabric seem less durable than the seat fabric
- Small-ish wheels
- Low ground clearance (good for aerodynamics, bad for going over things because of the long wheelbase)
- 4-way adjustable seat (only my Corolla had that)

Improvements:
1) More adjustment for the front seats
2) I want optional alcantara
3) Maplights need to be focussed better. They seem no better than an ordinary dome lamp
4) Better foglights.
5) More room to rest the left foot

·
Registered
84 Posts
hyperion said:
How about the Insurance Companies of America report published several days ago that cellphones are attributing to over fifty percent of the car accidents in the U.S. Most in the first ten minutes of driving when "dead time" is being used and that statistics show that it makes no difference between hand held and handless. It seems to be the complete lack of attention of speed and traffic that goes along with the conversation.
Well then if it bad for us then just drop the option but if it is there then it should work.
Besides that I for one do not want to run my life the way an insurance company would want me to. Too much like orwell's 1984

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I only pointed it out because the users are out there and unfortunately there are usually two cars in most accidents. Tell me you have never had to use the horn on a guy sitting at a green light in front of you and not moving while he has been on the phone. What makes you think he is any more attentive when he is one car length in back of you on the freeway travelling 70 mph.
The insurance institute was using figures derived from law enforcement and state police.

·
Registered
344 Posts
the seats seem to be good for shorter people. the taller ones are usually the ones i hear talking about discomfort.

that said, i'm about 5'8" and have had a very bad back since an injury 5 years ago. i am perfectly comfortable on hour-long or more drives.

i think all the things i liked are already covered. i really like the way the car handles, but some people have minor complaints.

i would put better tires on mine if i had the money. i spent it all on other things for my car :) i think that's it. i'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm 5'2 with back problems and find my car much more comfortable than other cars I've ridden in or owned. The Prius handles very well, is designed beautifully, and is fun to drive. I also think the upholstery near the doors is thin and just asking for stains. I'd never disconnect the rear beep, but actually want it audible on the outside for pedestrian safety.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I had the impression the original poster really wanted to know what was different with the newer version of the car. THere are a few out there who have had both the older Prius and the new one... is it better? Or just different?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Important note: Aside from some bug fixes, there are no significant differences between the '05 and the '04 Priuses. The huge differences are between the '01-03 model and the '04-05.

I don't particularly care for either the funky gas gauge, the generally high level of road noise at freeway speeds (highly dependent on road surface, but mostly it's loud), or the front end's tendency to scrape on driveways and deep dips. Otherwise, the car - so far - has equalled or surpassed my expectations in every other way.

FYI, my 5'2" wife finds the seats very comfortable.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If I was you...

If I was you...

I dont buy it now.
I would buy 2006 version at the end of the year.
Still you will have tax incentive.
And you will have all changes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts