Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
battery energy storage capacity

Has anyone some information about the energy storage capacity of the new Prius battery ? If I'm right the current one can store 1.8 kWh; increasing the motor's output power is great but if the total available energy remains the same, it means discharging occurs more quickly when full power is used... so I hope they improved this point as well.

frenchie

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would like to understand why 5,000 rpm is max.? Is there something unique that the increase of 500 rpm was all that could be extracted?
This seems relatively low. Is it because of the Atkinson Cycle?

Would anyone know the weight % over the front wheels? (on the old Prius?). And how much does the package weigh vs. conventional?
This question should perhaps compare 1.5 L System vs. Conventional Camry 4 cyl.

Tks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
GAWR on the 2002 is 1970 lb/Front, 1685 lb/Rear. So states the sticker on the driver's door frame. Should give some idea of the front/rear %.

·
Registered
19 Posts
keep in mind that the GAWR is for a "max" load... it is not what the car is currently weighing in at... it will always depend on passenger and cargo... fuel is something to remember... about 6.6 lbs /gallon for gas - so 11 or so gallons will add about 70 lbs...

and to answer X-pat... when you see a peak Tourque on a graph, this is the point where the volumetric efficiency is starting to fall off... to increase this you need to have less restriction from the intake and exhaust, which usually means make more noise. So when an engine designer starts out they are looking at a ton of limitations and they have to make choices to meet these criteria. Everything from engine size, weights, power required, emission, noise, longevity, accessibility... these all come with trade offs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
keep in mind that the GAWR is for a "max" load... it is not what the car is currently weighing in at...

Granted. But for the figures I cited (Toyota's specs), the weight is distributed 54/46, thus: front = 1970/3655 = 54% , rear = 1685/3655 = 46%. Certainly that ratio will vary under different load distributions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've read where this gasoline engine has the world's highest thermal efficiency--so I'm guessing if that priority number 1, even Honda could not have done better (on the max. RPM's). Apparently air, which has entered the cylinder already, is returned to the intake manifold, delaying the start of compression.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts