Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the HV service plug was disconnected to weld on the car but now it wont start anymore. is there a procedure to reset something to get it started again?

·
Registered
248 Posts
It may need the Toyota Hand Held Scanner to reset? I am not sure. If DTC were set then you may need your Toyota dealer to help you. Use a flat bed to transfer the car.

·
Registered
582 Posts
unplugged

I have heard of people w/the new model Prius not fully seating the interlock when replacing the safety plug. It is something like a lever that needs to be pushed down. Sorry not more specific, my Prius is previous gen and the plug is not the same. Please post the solution; we need these things in group memory.

DAS

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
3. NOTICE FOR HYBRID SYSTEM ACTIVATION
* When the warning lamp is illuminated or the battery has been disconnected and reconnected,
pressing the power switch may not start the system on the first attempt. If so, press the power
switch again.
* With the power switch’s power mode changed to ON (IG), disconnect the battery. If the key is
not in the key slot during reconnection, DTC B2799 may be output.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 019-05.zip

US TSB EG019-05
May 13, 2005. NO "READY ON" AND/OR M.I.L. "ON" DTC P3140, P3141, OR P0A0D (SERVICE PLUG INSTALLATION). May occur if the service plug installation procedure isn't fully performed following a service that required removal of the HV service plug.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dan you are the "man" DanMan32.
thank you so much your post with the pictures did the trick very nice and yes it took 2 power on and off for the system to work just as you said. I am so thankfull i wish i could buy you a beer :)
I bet the dealer just laughs out loud everytime they get a car in that won't strat when the service plug is removed and they charge 2 hrs when it takes them 2 mins.

thank you all for replying this forum is full of smart people ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
important stuff this, for service plug first-timers

Hi all,

I joined this forum just to say thanks for this post.

I thought I might have killed my batt ECU last night!
Because I powered-on with the plug out, saw the Triangle of Death and then immediately remembered the service plug... I power off, insert the plug (incompletely)... And of course I still see the Triangle.

So it was all due to not sliding down the plug handle after the folding action.

It took my bro's google-fu to locate this info...

After sliding the handle down, mine went back to normal on the 4th time powering on.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Re: important stuff this, for service plug first-timers

pnerd said:
Hi all,

I joined this forum just to say thanks for this post.

I thought I might have killed my batt ECU last night!
Because I powered-on with the plug out, saw the Triangle of Death and then immediately remembered the service plug... I power off, insert the plug (incompletely)... And of course I still see the Triangle.

So it was all due to not sliding down the plug handle after the folding action.

It took my bro's google-fu to locate this info...

After sliding the handle down, mine went back to normal on the 4th time powering on.
Why did you feel you needed to remove the service plug?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My friend was messing with me so he disconnected the service plug on my 2004 Prius andwhen I tried starting it it had trouble turning off then after a few tryes I got it off and then couldn't get it started back up. Later my friend told me it was unplugged I put it back in properly and still no luck but the dash is flashing and gears won't switch to anything. I need help asap. Its been 3 days now with no car

·
Registered
884 Posts
Ask your friend exactly what he did to your car (including things he may not have previously mentioned). Then, make sure all of those things he did are returned to their original states. Use caution, as some high-voltage cables (especially those with orange insulation) carry voltages capable of electrocution (i.e., serious injury or death).

If you are lucky, you may be able to reset the hybrid system computers and clear all fail codes by disconnecting the 12-volt battery for a few minutes and then reconnecting the battery cables.

If you are unlucky, you need to retrieve the fail codes that have been generated by the computer, by using a scanner (many auto parts stores will read codes for you, or loan you a meter, for free). Alternately, you can tow your Prius to a Toyota dealer and have them troubleshoot your problems. Please note that the current labor rate is over $130 per hour; and dealers may have a minimum charge (typically, one hour). Plus, it could take much longer to determine exactly what is wrong with your car. However, most dealers will apply troubleshooting charges to the repairs that they perform.

Your friend has not done you any favors with this practical joke. If you are unlucky and resetting the codes does NOT fix your problems, you may be looking at hundreds of dollars in repairs -- thousands, if the hybrid system printed circuit boards are damaged.

·
Registered
884 Posts
What have you done since your original post 11 days ago?

1. Did you disconnect the 12-volt battery to reset the codes?

2. Did you have someone read any new fail codes? If you did this, what are the codes?

3. Did you have your Prius towed to the dealer for troubleshooting?

Note: An unrelated thread on this site describes an "orange disconnect switch" resetting procedure. You might want to look at this link and see if it might correct your problem:

http://www.priusonline.com/9-prius-...er-repairing-traction-battery.html#post203577

Unfortunately, without more information, there's not much we can do except commiserate with your problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took the orange plug out and unplugged the main battery for a day twice and no go, also I have a diagnostic computer and I got a few codes one being loss communication with hybrid vehicle control system, loss communication with hybrid powertrain control module. I tried resetting all the codes and those keep coming back. And on the radio monitor it shows no bars on the hybrid battery. I think he messed something up when I tried starting it with no plug. Its been sitting in my garage for about two weeks and I'm sharing my gf car and I can see she's getting kinda annoyed with me. I've been looking from form to form and tried a lot of things like unplug and replug computers and checked fuses and relays with testers and still a no go

·
Registered
884 Posts
A few more questions:

• When you turn on the ignition, does the READY indicator come on?

• What appears on the MFD/Multi-Function Display (e.g., "triangle of death", or other error screen)?

• Can see the battery charge level on the MFD? If so, how many bars are displayed?

• What are the fail code numbers?

Since you haven't had any luck fixing this problem, the next logical step is to have the dealer look at your Prius.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes the indicator is on, the triangle of death was on but no longer on, the MFD shows no bars and the code is u0295 and it's the same code on both loss communications. Also I can't put the car into gear and the gears are flashing on the dash.

·
Registered
884 Posts
One more thing to try:

A discharged or defective 12-volt battery can sometimes cause odd failure symptoms.

Connect a known-good, fully charged, 12-volt auto battery in parallel to the 12-volt battery in your Prius, like you were going to jump start a regular car.

Then, turn the Prius ignition on, check the display, noting what you see (so that you can later post that info on this Website), and see if you can start your car.

If that doesn't work, or give you more and/or different failure symptoms, your high-voltage traction battery may be discharged. If that's the case, your dealer will have to charge it for you. This requires a special Toyota charger designed for your hybrid battery, and it is unavailable elsewhere. In fact, a discharged traction battery is so rare that most dealers do NOT have one on site; and they usually have to have it shipped to them. So, I'd plan on your Prius being in the shop for a few days, assuming that this is the problem.

Unfortunately, that is about the extent of my troubleshooting experience as another Prius owner. And, it appears that most of the other members on this site are either not following this thread or haven't checked this site recently. However, if I didn't mention it already, you may want to check on other, more active, Prius forums to see if one of their members has experienced similar problems. The one below is probably as good as any to start:

http://www.priuschat.com

In any case, if this was my Prius, I would think it's time to take it to the local Toyota service department for troubleshooting. There are not many other alternatives for hybrid owners.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.