Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call from my dealer tonight who was just "touching base" and to talk Prius a little. He was thanking me for forwarding information about the Prius he (and none of the other dealers here) had previously that he's subsequently used with other customers and salesman at the lot.

Anyway, I'd put down $500 for the first right of refusal of the first '04 Prius on the lot. He mentioned that he's since pre-sold another '04 and that another salesman has pre-sold 3 of them! We're talking about a town of 250K with a somewhat sprawling rural suburban area, not a big city. If dealerships around the country are getting this kind of response 3-5 months before the vehicle is even expected to hit the lots this car is going to hit the broader markets like a sledge hammer.

Just thought I'd post that annecdote and maybe spur someone thinking about getting an '04 to get out and put some money down if you hope to have one in the next year. Also, production of the '03 has stopped (couple months ago I think) and are rare if available at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can't wait... this will be the biggest transition for me, but I will be first in line for the '04 here in my city. I am going from a '01 BMW 325i, with sport package and automatic... but I am tired of paying the note for a $35k vehicle when people can't respect it more. I have door dings and bumps and scrapes from people backing into me - and I am sick of it. I have never dinged another car's door - EVER!!! but somehow I get the pricks to park by me...

I am an engineer by degree and by birth. This car just fascinates me. I have been telling my friends that I will have a car that is extremely good at at least one thing, while there cars are sorta good looking, sorta fast, sorta efficient, sorta expensive...

The wait continues...

PS - please post order and delivery dates as they are known.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excited

I know what you mean about being excited. I'm almost giddy about this vehicle, more so than I was with my Expedition before I got it and it was my first "Real" new vehicle(had a new Isuzu P'up, but that doesn't count) and was the first year for that too. I feel like such a nerd b/c you'd think I was first in line for a 50th anniversary Corvette or something instead of a hybrid economy car! But hey, maybe it's my age getting to me!

·
Registered
1 Posts
To order or not to order, that is the question.

I have recently made the decision to purchase a 2004 Prius. Although I'm tempted, I'm unsure as to whether or not to place an order now. Should I expect to pay sticker? How do you prevent getting ripped off by a dealer for "extras"? Any advice is appreciated.

Sandy 8)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're gonna have to talk to the other folks here for details, but my understanding is that there is not much budge room on the price, if any, anyway. With the anticipated demand for the vehicle, if you want to avoid sticker you better plan on a long wait for the demand to drop and hope the supply exceeds.

I figure I'm gonna pay sticker--I'll try to talk them out of the advertising fee and destination, but honestly don't expect success.

Remember, also, you're not technically "ordering", I gave a $500 deposit for rights of first refusal. IOW, if I see the car, test drive it and don't like it for any reason I just ask for my money back and it goes to the next guy down the list. Or, I can refuse the first one on the lot and wait for the second one if it has the right features, color, whatever and the first one didn't have what I want. Basicly just makes sure I get what I want and I get first shot.

If you made the decision to buy I'd make a deposit if you can afford to leave the $$ sitting around for that long. Otherwise wait and see what happens, maybe the demand won't be that high.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I can relate. I'm going from an '03 Lexus IS300 to an '04 Prius. My main motivation is to save on fuel but I'm also a sucker for innovation and electronics. My IS300 has already been in the repair shop twice thanks to ding-bat do-badders that always seem to park next to me.

mgithens said:
I can't wait... this will be the biggest transition for me, but I will be first in line for the '04 here in my city. I am going from a '01 BMW 325i, with sport package and automatic... but I am tired of paying the note for a $35k vehicle when people can't respect it more. I have door dings and bumps and scrapes from people backing into me - and I am sick of it. I have never dinged another car's door - EVER!!! but somehow I get the pricks to park by me...

I am an engineer by degree and by birth. This car just fascinates me. I have been telling my friends that I will have a car that is extremely good at at least one thing, while there cars are sorta good looking, sorta fast, sorta efficient, sorta expensive...

The wait continues...

PS - please post order and delivery dates as they are known.

·
Registered
165 Posts
2004 Prius arrives in Paris

Toyota will be Official Partner of 9th IAAF World Championships in Athletics, Paris 2003, from August 23rd to 31st. The new Prius will be present there as the lead vehicle for the mens and womens marathons (August 30st and 31st). Good idea to minimize emissions in front of athletes, although they will probably not remove all other cars (especially Diesels) from Paris... :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts