Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hesitant, until now, to post my impressions here. The folks on the Yahoo boards have done that ad nauseum. But, someone asked a short while back so I thought I'd put up a few words then field questions.

First off, I am very happy. I test drove and '03 in March but wasn't in a hurry and couldn't get a 'great' deal. The '04 was announced only a couple weeks later and I put down a $500 right of first refusal on April 22nd. I've been ravenous for information since. I finally took delivery of a BC Seaside Pearl on Oct. 20th.

I've been quite pleased with the ride. Acceleration is OK, but not powerful by any stretch--that came home to me when I drove my Expedition for the first time since getting the Prius and felt what 'REAL' power is. The seats and material feel a bit cheap, but have good support. I REALLY wish there were more adjustments, at least for the driver's seat.

I had the windows tinted to about 30-35%, really makes it look nicer IMO, also improves the view out the rear view mirror b/c it balances the tinted lower window element. I'll be adding XM Radio soon (they're in at Best Buy).

My first fill up calculated to about 44.2MPG, the consumtion screen had shown 43.5. I'm now at about 530 miles into the break in and seem to be getting closer to 50mpg on the second tank. I've adjusted the tire pressure to 42/40--they were about 36psi all around for the first tank. Also, I've really learned to 'feather' the accelerator to get Stealth engaged better since the first tank and have been able to achieve speeds over 52MPH in Stealth--above 42mph it's tough to do, but it can be achieved.

I love the Seaside color and the NAV and voice command stuff are fun, if not something I really need. The SS/E is an entirely different matter...I LOVE IT. It is so nice to just push a button to lock the car--without fumbling with the fob or keys. It's even nicer to walk up to the car with arms loaded with groceries or even with arms empty and just touch the door handle and having it immediately unlock. I can put my foot on the brake and press the "POWER" button before the door is closed, then have my seatbelt buckled about the same time the READY is shown--then I'm driving. It's so smooth and convenient. VERY highly recommended.

Guess that'll do for now. I'll field questions as time permits.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Acceleration is OK, but not powerful by any stretch--that came home to me when I drove my Expedition for the first time since getting the Prius and felt what 'REAL' power is.
Although I don't think it's fair to compare a truck with a V8 engine and the Prius, I suggest you have a look at some Expedition specifications I found on the web :

http://www.stormpages.com/tylerm/lt/ford/ex.htm
(5.4liter V8) 0-60 in 9.6 seconds
http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2139.shtml
(2003, 5.4liter V8) 0-60 in 9.7 seconds
http://www.cybersteering.com/worldcar/ford.html
(1999, 4.6liter V8) 0-60 in 11.5 seconds

Now I don't know which model year, version and engine of the Expedition you've got, but given that the 2004 Prius 0-60 acceleration is reported to be around 10.5 seconds, I think you should carefully look at the speedometer in your Prius, and remember the continously variable transmission makes you underestimate the acceleration performance of your car...

Now for towing a boat or some heavy stuff it's a different story of course, since the Prius is not supposed to tow anything.

Have fun with your new car and drive safe!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Power does not just mean acceleration. The Prius out torques my Expediton by a long shot. But put them both at the bottom of a hill and the EXP isn't even breathing hard at the top while the Prius is topping out on RPMs.

Still, good points, I'm NOT complaining about the Prius acceleration...it's more than adequate, I just won't be getting into any drag races!
--evan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts