Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My airbags are blown and i lost me keys so i had the dealer make me a new key and they also had to replace the immobolizer. My question is since the car has been in an accident and the airbags deployed is there some kind of shut off to keep the car from restarting? is there something i can reset that would allow me to start the car again?

i do have autobody experience and up untill few years back us techs at the body shop replaced the airbags and just sent the car to the dealer to reset the codes but now its more of a liability issue that the shop doesnt want to take so we now out source all airbag work to the dealers.

I found this old thread but this is for a 2004 model so im not sure if it would work on a 2003.

http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.ph ... ght=airbag

could someone who knows how confirm it would work or know how to start a 2003 prius that had its airbags deployed.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Although I could not swear to it on a Bible in court, I believe the response would be the same for the '03 as it was for the '04. When the car detects that the airbags are deploying, it comes out of Ready mode, thus disengaging the system relays, keeping the high voltage at the battery cage. Of course if the car is still moving, there's nothing to prevent AC from being generated by MG2 and possibly MG1 (they have permenant magnets), but the Inverter would simply not use it, just as it would do if you were in neutral.

So all one needs do is to power off, then power on. Assuming everything else is in order, the car should go into READY and be drivable.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, I do know that in a Nissan mini-van, that is not the case. My friend's airbags were deployed after his daughter banged into the garage wall hard enough to deploy them, but otherwise caused little harm not already done by the airbags themselves. Vehicle was still drivable without having any codes set. From my knowledge, all cars have fuel delivery systems, including a fuel pump, so the risks with fuel pumps would be the same as on the Prius.

I believe someone asked this once, and after being suggested to just start the car, he did and it did.

If there were a fuel line cut, then ICE could not start. The ECM would report this back to the HV ECU and and an error would be flagged to you, as well as prohibiting the fuel pump from continuing until the next start attempt. Standard stuff on vehicles.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well when the air-bags deploy the System Main Bus is disconnected and I think you need the THHS to reset it. I will talk to my friend a Prius Tech. I don't think the Prius will run with out the air bags connected. I think that no matter what you do the system needs to have + feedback from the safety system to engage the car. Anything else and you get the triangle of death.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
OK, from the repair manual, a code P3107 or P3108 indicates loss of communication with the SRS ECU from the perspective of the HV ECU. Normal driving is possible (Page 5-432)

P0A78 Collision signal sent from SRS OR inverter circuit breaker sensor. For the former, all power is cut off. From the latter, only system main relays are disengaged. (Page 5-617)

There is nothing in the manual to indicate that anything needs to be reset before the car is driven. From the examples of running out of gas or the "Engine Failed To Start" problem, the car could be driven though you may have to try rebooting it a few times.

By the way, the airbag error codes can be cleared by a piece of wire to the DLC. Just jump pins 13 to ground (Pin 4) 60 seconds after powering to READY. After powering down, the SRS DTCs should clear.
If not, power up with wire connected, disconnect within 3-10 seconds of DTC being displayed (SRS warning lamp blilnks codes), then reconnect and disconnect in 2 second intervals a few times.

Again, cars are drivable without airbags. It is done all the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I retrieved the Airbag codes using a jumper wire. The blinking airbag light gave me 4 codes for the deployed airbags and both seatbelts. This makes sense since they are all deployed. I also tried resetting the the codes by grounding the wires indicated in the service manual. However, the same codes reappear since the airbags have not been replaced.

Just to clarify, the auxiliary battery was charged, and the the dash lights come ON. I just don't get the READY indicator on the dash. I can't get the ICE to turn over and start.

How can I reset the inverter circuit breaker and engage the main relays?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I doubt the circuit breaker has popped. You won't be able to start the engine until you get to READY. Be sure the brake switch is working, as the car cannot go to READY until the brake is pressed. If the car is refusing to go to READY for a technical reason, rather than an operator reason or perceived operator fault (like no brake press sensed), it should give some indication of the problem.

By the way, a generic scanner can give you the DTCs, even the hybrid ones, though it may not correctly interpret the code, nor can it give you hybrid stats or perform active diagnostic functions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was able to test a few things and what i found was that the dash indicates that the main batteries have power but I tested the line comming out of the batteries and i get no voltage. Is there some sort of relay that needs to be reset? perhaps someone knows why im not reading any voltage comming out.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The HV will engage the system main relays. Said relays are located in the battery cage. The HV first engages the common relay, then engages the relay connected to the battery through a resistor. This limits surges to the inverter. Then a second or two, the HV engages the relay without the resistor and releases the one with the resistor.

You may want to check to be sure the HV is receiving the brake switch signal. You can't go to ready without pressing on the brake. If the switch is not working, then the HV will think you didn't press the brake and won't go to ready.

Also the HV checks again with the immobilizer to be sure the fob is correct. If this fails however, the amber key symbol will blink.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DanMan32 said:
Also the HV checks again with the immobilizer to be sure the fob is correct. If this fails however, the amber key symbol will blink.
I checked the immoblizer with the key in the ignition and i don't get any key symbols on the display, not even with all the others lights that pop up when you stick the key in do i get a key symbol. I'm wondering if the key symbol is only for a 2004 or later? does the same key symbol show up in 2003 years as well?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like to thank everyone who put in the time and effort to help me get my 2003 prius to start. Well i finally did it! i got the car started without new airbags or sensors installed like the dealer told me it needed.

well to recap what was done. I had no keys so i paid the dealer to install a new key system/immobleizer and they did but when i went to pick it up they had told me it is impossible for this car to start without new airbags and sensors replaced. Myself knowing what type of people/buisness im dealing with knew that they only wanted more money so i towed the car home and started searching for ways to start the car myself. I ask on 3 different online forums cuase i know how many smart people there were and most likely i'd have the answer in a day but unfortunatly all i got was some very good advice but not 1 that started the car. I then paid for the online subscription to check out the toyota manuals and let me say its not the easiest to navigate through but i read and read and read.
well what really screwed me over was that the dealer was suppose to have installed a brand new immobleizer and program it but in the end they just installed it and never programmed/reset it so that was my problem.

3. IF ALL KEYS ARE LOST, OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING
(a) Purchase a new transponder key ECU and a new key.
(b) Replace the transponder key ECU with new one.
(c) Insert a new key into the key cylinder, turn the ignition switch ON and leave it as it is for 30 min.
4. SETTING HYBRID VEHICLE IMMOBILISER SYSTEM
(a) Removing a key from the key cylinder sets hybrid vehicle immobiliser system.
(b) When 20 sec is elapsed after the key is turned from ignition switch ON to ACC or LOCK, the hybrid
vehicle immobiliser is set.

so that is what i did and that got the car started. so i guess dealer repair techs are just as slimy as their sales guys lol.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Ah, I figured it might be an immobilizer problem. I forgot for a bit that you had a classic though. I am suprised it powered up at all without the immobilizer programmed. The 2004+ won't.

I guess the ignition is a standard switch until it comes to bringing the car to READY mode, in which the RFID in the key is checked.

FYI, at least for the 2004+, the immobilizer has to be paired with the HV using the scan tool. This prevents one from just taking an immobilizer out of one car, and putting it into another and taking off with it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i remember

i remember this problem on my 01 prius that had airbags deployed, it will start with supplemental restraint system showing problems, if and only if the hybrid system is in total working order. The problem i believe is your key, the vehicle is supposed to try to start no matter what, you need to ask the dealer to program the key or he may have not installed the immobilizer correctly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.