Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may have already been asked and I did try to search through previous posts to find it but I came up with nothing.

I am looking to buy my first car and want to get a Prius. Basically for a couple reasons including ability to use HOV (I live near DC). Well I probably cannot afford to buy it new as they are selling well over MSRP in my area, so I am looking at used ones.

Is there anything I should look for in a used one that maybe a dealer wouldn't tell you? Or is one year better than the other? Currently I am looking at a 2001 with 16k miles for $18k. But there are some 2003's used as well with slightly more miles for the same price. Just trying to see if there is a substantial advantage accompanying a newer year.

Thank you for your time in advance!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can't be sure about current pricing but when I got my '04 from Alexandria Toyota (Alexandria, VA) it was for MSRP. I signed up for it in Feb and picked it up in July.

·
Registered
14 Posts
CoolCrossett13 said:
I know this may have already been asked and I did try to search through previous posts to find it but I came up with nothing.

I am looking to buy my first car and want to get a Prius. Basically for a couple reasons including ability to use HOV (I live near DC). Well I probably cannot afford to buy it new as they are selling well over MSRP in my area, so I am looking at used ones.

Is there anything I should look for in a used one that maybe a dealer wouldn't tell you? Or is one year better than the other? Currently I am looking at a 2001 with 16k miles for $18k. But there are some 2003's used as well with slightly more miles for the same price. Just trying to see if there is a substantial advantage accompanying a newer year.

Thank you for your time in advance!

if you could afford MSRP, I highly recommend DARCARS in Silver Spring or Frederick. I bought mine in just a day from Silver Spring....I was also on the list at Frederick and they seem to have a LOT of new ones in now.....

·
Registered
381 Posts
CoolCrossett13 said:
Currently I am looking at a 2001 with 16k miles for $18k. But there are some 2003's used as well with slightly more miles for the same price.
If I had a choice between the "classic" and the 2004/2005, I'd go for the newer one. After having driven the 2003 for a year (which is now my wife's car) and getting the 2004, it's almost a "night and day" difference to me. Then again, maybe it's just all the technical differences and gadgets my 2004 has that her 2003 doesn't (Bluetooth, CD changer, DVD nav, mirror, etc.). 8)

I also like the hatch, cargo area and split folding rear seat in the 2004 vs. "just a trunk" in the 2003. Whatever you get, good choice and good luck. :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
If the prices are about the same and the mileage isn't too much higher, I'd go for the 2003 over the 2001. It has a better chance of having a better version of the software in the computers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you seek out several dealers in your area and get on their lists as taking any model, color, or pkg you will have one within a month and at MSRP.

·
Registered
70 Posts
>Is there anything I should look for in a used one that
>maybe a dealer wouldn't tell you? Or is one year
>better than the other?

The '01 through '03 is the Prius Classic. They are all
roughly the same. For '04 they did an all around update,
made it sporty looking and actually improved an already
great car.

>Currently I am looking at
>a 2001 with 16k miles for $18k.