Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Prius with around 150k miles. The check engine light seems to come on whenever the temperature drops below 50 degrees. It's been happening for several years now but seems to be occurring with increasing frequency and at higher temperatures. Usually the light stays on for 100 miles or so before it goes away. Generally the car seems to run fine although, when this occurs I have to engage the engine right away (by driving uphill), otherwise the battery kicks in, the engine shuts down and I have to restart the car. When it first happened I took it to a mechanic who found nothing wrong with the car, although they do not specialize in the Prius.

I have two questions. First, any suggestions on what may be wrong with the car? Second, do you suggest taking it to a mechanic who specializes in the Prius?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The toyota dealers repair guys can at least read the codes. I go only to Toyota for the prius. Except for tires and basics. I had the same prob. the light comes on but nothing is wrong. It happens more after an oil change. Then I schedule a follow up appt. and on several occasions, the light just went out by itself. No other issues.
Now my Master Hybrid Warning light is on and I can't find the manual. I did just have it in for oil change a few weeks ago, and had inside shampood. I heard it could be a build up of humidity. Will be calling them tomorrow.
I have a 2002 Prius, 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
884 Posts
See recent reply in related post:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31292&p=148009#p148009

Also, please provide fail codes to help others troubleshoot your problem. These can be obtained free at most autoparts stores like AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc.

Just a comment and opinion, we have always had our Prius serviced by our Toyota dealer. Their prices are a little high, but on several occasions, we have been able to take a problem or incorrect/incomplete repair back to have it fixed without additional cost. In the long run, they are the most knowledgeable on Prius's and they have all of the Toyota parts that a non-Toyota shop will not have available.

Owning a 2002 Prius, the only out-of-pocket expense we have had, besides oil changes, tires, 12-volt batteries, routine preventive maintenance, and recently, shock absorbers, is replacement of the hybrid coolant pump, which cost about $325, parts and labor, a remarkable record for a nine year old car. The latest repair was a $2,500 rack and pinion steering box, which was replaced FREE on a Toyota recall. Our Prius drives like new (with the steering box, new shocks, and a set of new Michelin tires), and we plan to keep it another 5+ years (it has 125,000 miles on it, now).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts